5/31/11

Roland Garros May 30 2011 - Li Na

N. LI/P. Kvitova

2 6, 6 1, 6 3

NA LI


Q. It looked like you might be in trouble during the third set. What happened to turn it around?
NA LI: It may be trouble; not really trouble. It was tough, like 3 Love down in the final set.
Yeah. I mean, even myself, I didn't believe I can come back, you know, because she has a huge big serve, and even doing until final serve. But I was think, Okay. She just broken one serve game. If I come back, still have chance.
So I don't know what happened. Maybe just my husband left and I can win six games in a row. (Laughter.)

Q. Your husband, did he leave? Is he gone?
NA LI: Yeah, after I was 3 Love down.

Q. I know you've answered this before, but if you could tell us again a little bit about your decision to have your husband not coach and how it's worked out so far. Obviously very well?
NA LI: Yeah, I mean, it's tough. Like husband, coach, always like, you know, tough to, how they say, communication if you have husband or coach. On court or off the court, you know, we are three years every day like 24 hours together. So of course I was tired.
So we need a break. And also after Melbourne I didn't do well. So I need to change the team a little bit to improve me a lot. That's why I ask for Michael. He's from Denmark. I ask him to help me, and, yeah, now the husband is hitting partner.

Q. As you said, you have been struggling after Melbourne final in Melbourne. Do you think there's any specific reason of that struggling?
NA LI: I mean, for the player, I was like after I'm done, I was if you do well in Melbourne, I mean, if you play tournament against opponents, you do different. Because if they play against you, nothing to lose.
The thing about she play final. What I should do? And also, of course, I was a little bit sad. I have the match point, but I couldn't win the match. Yeah, after I was feeling like how do I do well beginning of the year and after it didn't work.
I also training so hard like before every day, but that didn't work. That's why after finished hard court season, I was changing my team a little bit, yeah.

Q. Do you think you are the same level as the Australian Open? And, also, since the women's draw is quite open now, do you think you have a chance to go deep?
NA LI: Why not? I qualify already. If I win fourth round, what I should say? I play bad tennis? I don't think so.
I mean, I try to keep same level in Melbourne or even more better. I didn't like clay court, but yeah, but I still in the quallies [sic]. So I couldn't say that anymore. But, I mean, you have to do try the best of tennis on the court. Doesn't matter what level you have. Yeah.

Q. You have collaboration with Michael was a trial for three tournaments. These three tournaments are already a success. Even if not finished yet, do you think you will go on with him?
NA LI: This is third tournament. I did not finish yet. Yeah, I mean, I would like working with him. But after this tournament I have to ask him if I have the time to traveling with me maybe, because he has a family. I could only say, Okay, Michael, come with me.
This is no chance. I have communication first and see how many weeks he can traveling with me. We talk after French Open.

Q. Let me ask perhaps a difficult question.
NA LI: Okay. I try to answer.

Q. How does a wife tell a husband, You're fired?
NA LI: I would never say that. I mean, it's tough. You know, the husband, coach, and also he was working with the team.
So I try to never say, I fire you. (Smiling.)
Q. I think you have chance to advance to the quarterfinal here in Roland Garros. Do you have any clay courts in China? How do you feel this condition? The surface, balls here, they change the balls.
NA LI: I mean, for professional player, if you didn't like the air, didn't like the weather, didn't like the serve, you still have to play the match.
I mean, some things you couldn't choice. So you have to, how you say, challenge yourself, to play with something. Even like in China, right now in China they have many hard court, but in season you have clay court, you have grass court season. You couldn't give up because three months for whole year. You should do something for yourself.

Q. Very few tennis players have studied journalism. I believe you have. If you could change the way tennis is covered, how would you change it?
NA LI: Oh. (Smiling.)
More prize money. (Laughter.) I think every player like that. Yeah, I mean, I love the way right now the tennis. I didn't want to change anything.

Q. But the way that tennis is covered by the journalists, by the writers, how would you change that?
NA LI: You have to ask them. See, they're from China.

No comments:

Post a Comment