5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2011 - Daniela Hantucova

D. HANTUCHOVA/C. Wozniacki

6 1, 6 3

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA

Q. How did you feel in your game today? What are you thinking about possible quarterfinal against Marion Bartoli?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, obviously I felt really good on the court today. I felt like I stick to my game plan and did exactly what I had to do, what I discussed with my coach before the match.
Yeah, I was just really pleased to play my game all the way through the match except a few points. Obviously very, very pleased with the result today.
You know, to play against Marion, I still have to win one more match, so I'm not looking that far ahead of myself. I just take it one match at a time, and that's it.

Q. You're the 28th seed, and now you have as good a chance as anyone else of winning the championship. What does that say about the standard of women's tennis at the moment?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, obviously if you've been No. 1 in the world you gonna have a good draw, because that's why they always have easier draws in the tournaments, because they're No. 1s.
I think it just shows how strong women's tennis is at the moment. It's very open. Any tournament basically can win anybody.
I like to consider myself as one of those players to have a good chance. But, like I said, I don't look that much ahead of myself. I just try to focus on my next match, and we'll see.

Q. What did you do differently today or try to do differently against her than in your earlier matches against Wozniacki?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Well, I think I was playing much better since Miami that I played her last time, and I knew what I did wrong there, and I tried to learn from that match.
I have to say the last few weeks I have been playing very well. And I was a little bit unfortunate with the draws in a couple of these tournaments, but I felt like my game was right there. Today it just all paid off.

Q. What specifically in terms of strategy or how you wanted to do things differently against her specifically?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: It was not really against her. It was just really focusing on my game, trying to be aggressive and trying to stick into my weapons, and nothing too much who was on the other side of the court.

Q. Just how confident were you before the match? I mean, a lot of people probably didn't think you had that good of a chance. But, in your mind, did you think you had a really good shot?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, definitely I was very confident before the match. Because, like I said, the last few weeks I think I was playing a great tennis. And I was a little bit unlucky in a few matches. I played great I think against Francesca in Rome and as well against Sam in couple of the other tournaments.
So I really had a tough draw, so I just knew it was a matter of time. I felt great coming here from Strasbourg, so I had good preparation and just did it on the court.

Q. When she came back to 4 3 in the second set, did you get a little bit concerned?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Not really. I mean, I just knew I had to stick to what was working for me during the match, and just tried to focus on my service games to make sure I was serving well and keep being aggressive. I think that was the key.

Q. You said the last few weeks you've been playing good stuff, possibly even suggests it even goes a bit further back than that, a few months. Some people are saying you're playing your best tennis of your career right now. Would you go along with that?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: I have to say today was probably one of the best matches, for sure. It's more about how I feel in the practice, and that, I have to say, I have been feeling very good in the last few weeks, maybe few months, like you said. I've been working hard and it seems like it's been paying off.

Q. The results you have had mainly in Grand Slam tournaments, maybe they haven't been up to the level of what your tennis really is or what your tennis really deserves. Can we say that maybe you're coming to a level of maturity in yourself and in your game to make it where you deserve?
DANIELA HANTUCHOVA: Yeah, definitely. I feel like the experience is starting to pay off. I mean, I have been around for quite some time. I know what to expect in the big tournaments and I think I'm much more calmer than I was before.
Yeah, it's just about putting it all together and mentally being really strong on the court.
I think I improve there a lot. Like you said, the results in the last few years, I have to say, sometimes I was really unlucky playing the Williams sisters most of the time in the slams. I mean, the only semifinals I ever made was finally when I did not have to face one of them in the quarters or whatever.
So I always had to face them. And we know how they are in the slams, you know, when it really matters. That's been pretty tough.
But other than that, yeah, I definitely feel like I'm actually enjoying it more than ever before. That's a good sign, and, you know, it's just we will just see what results it's going to bring me.
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment