5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 25 2011 - Marion Bartoli

M. BARTOLI/O. Govortsova

6 4, 6 7, 6 2

MARION BARTOLI



THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. This was a big fight again today after the first round. At the beginning of the first set you had three break points, and then you had to go to the third set. So what happened?
MARION BARTOLI: Exactly. At 3 2, 15 40, I had one opportunity because she serves really well on the left and along the line, but when it was 15 to 40, I had an opportunity to seize, but I missed it.
I think that then she felt a bit more aggressive. She really played well during the tiebreak, but the match is not over when two sets have gone by. There was a third one to go. The rally at the beginning of the third set was so tough, but she suffered physically, and then I was in control, which is quite normal. So I had double break at 5 to 2.
So this was good for me. Yet I did a few things in her feet and she was really far away from her lines, so tactically was not bad for me. And the key was physically. She couldn't stand three sets.

Q. Before next round, do you think that physically after three setters, it's going to be okay against Goerges?
MARION BARTOLI: Yes, I'm prepared physically. No problem. I could do this. I can play finals like this. You know, you have to be ready, because the tournament is not going to end after two matches.
So I was prepared. Tomorrow I can take a day off to rest, no problem. I could have played tomorrow. It would have been different, but then with a day to rest it's going to be okay physically for me.

Q. Do you have the feeling that your match is better than the first round match?
MARION BARTOLI: Well, yes. Mainly this was really intense fighting, and here again, the crowd was supporting me a lot. This helped a lot. People enjoyed watching this match, I think.
It was tough till the very end, but I served really well during the third set. At the very important moments I really enjoyed playing these moments.
Even though it lasted three hours, I think the intensity of the mental and physical comeback was such that this was very interesting. I think that's why people stayed, because there was intensity.

Q. You were still wearing the black ribbon. Is it for Virginie's friend?
MARION BARTOLI: Absolutely. On day one, you know, I was looking for it, but I played really late at night, and there was nobody to sew it on me. So unfortunately I was so disappointed not to wear it this time I did that in advance and there's no problem. I'll have it next time I play.

Q. You played only once in Wimbledon against Goerges, a victory. Since then she's improved a lot.
MARION BARTOLI: Yes, yes.

Q. She's not easy to beat during the third round.
MARION BARTOLI: Well, of course not. But I think that at Wimbledon I had drawn tactical lessons against her that are very important to me.
I think that, here again, if it can be a physical fight that's tough, it's my best thing. It shouldn't be a quick, short match. This is what she wants. She is someone who hits the balls. She doesn't like long rallies.
This is going to be the key to the match, but I have one day off. First I'll focus on this, and then I will focus on the match when it comes in due time.

Q. Well, to come back to this, you know, this injury that you mentioned, and you had to withdraw in Strasbourg during the finals, now that you've played two matches, don't you feel the pain any longer? How do you feel?
MARION BARTOLI: Well, what happened in Strasbourg is that I had the impression it was in the muscle, you know. My muscles in the upper part of my thigh, the psoas, or the inner muscle, were really like rigidified. They had shrunk a little. So slightly a torn muscle, almost a torn muscle.
So when I was off the courts, I thought it's going to take a miracle, because if it's these muscles, it takes a long time.
But, again, it's a tendinitis. This is what I have, tendinitis in one of the tendons in the hip. Caring for this, it's better. It's easier. With a bit of massage and ice and anti inflammatory drugs, that's okay.
When I'm warm on the court, I don't feel it any longer, so that's easy. It's better day in and day out. It was really difficult on Monday when I started at the beginning. Even though I was warm, I still had a little pain.
But now that days go by, it's going to be better and better.

Q. What about your goals here at Roland Garros?
MARION BARTOLI: My objective before it started was to go through to week No. 2, just only a match away from that, one match away from this.
And then a second week in the Grand Slam, it's like a new tournament altogether. Maybe I'll reappraise my goals if I go to the second week.
But next match is going to be very difficult. Let's not dream or have illusions about it. It's going to be a tough fight, but I'll be ready for it.
I take this Roland Garros, you see, as if I had to give 100% of who I am on each match. I don't want to have illusions about anything. I know that clay is the most complicated surface for me, the most difficult one.
But I'll use all of my weapons on the court. This is what counts. It's attitude, you know, not to give up on anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment