5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 26 2001 - Caroline Garcia

M. SHARAPOVA/C. Garcia

3 6, 6 4, 6 0


CAROLINE GARCIA


Q. Well done on a great effort today. Did you feel at home in that environment playing that standard of tennis against that level of opponent?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Yes, in the beginning I'm on the court, and I have concentration on my game. I forget the opponent I play, and I play very well in the begin.
After it was a little bit difficult, but that's the game, so...

Q. What would you say are your best qualities?
CAROLINE GARCIA: (Through translation.) In the beginning I played very well. I was not giving any points to her, and I was very accurate on the lines, and I played on the courts in compartments she doesn't like, because she's very tall, so sometimes it's more difficult for her. On the return I would try and take all my opportunities.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. So you were leading 6 3, 4 1. There was the Hola, the wave. What happened in your head? Did you think, This is a wonderful opportunity; I'm going to win Sharapova on the center court?
CAROLINE GARCIA: 4 1, the Hola, that was not easy to manage. I tried, but I didn't succeed. And I had many things going in my head, because I was leading. I was playing well. She was not really in the court. And then she reacted just like a champion, because she is a great champion.
And then I was I started being very nervous, and I started playing more from the baseline, and it was difficult for me to come back.

Q. What impressed you most in her game?
CAROLINE GARCIA: As from the second set she was striking the balls much harder, and these stupid mistakes that she made in the first she no longer made them, so it gave more momentum to the rally.
She didn't have many first serves, but then she did it wasn't all that fast, but she's very tall. You might think these are very fast balls, but they're not that fast, and then I made more mistakes.

Q. You're just out of the court, but can you think beyond your disappointment and think, well, this was a unique experience and that you played a great match?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Well, I don't manage to think this way. People around me told me exactly what you said, but it's hard for me. I went there to play and win, but I played my match.

Q. (Question in English.) During your match, Andy Murray tweeted that you're going to be No. 1 in the world some day. Okay? I was sitting next to Martina Navratilova calling it your match, and she agreed. I just wonder what your ambitions are and if you dream dreams like that.
CAROLINE GARCIA: Yes, I have this dream, but it's very difficult, but I hope one time I will be No. 1, and it's...
(Through translation.) Well, I'm happy. People like these two players you mentioned say things like that, about me, because it's full of promises for my future, but I also realize I need to work a lot.
But I'm very happy. It pleases me (Laughter.)

Q. (Question in English.) Why couldn't you win two more games against Maria? What is it like to try to play two good sets against someone that good?
CAROLINE GARCIA: It's very difficult, because when I'm I want to fight for one after she played very well, and she don't want to lose, so she try and she put the ball inside...

Q. And you put the ball outside?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Yeah.
THE MODERATOR: Any more questions in French?

Q. You made a choice to serve a very big serve on your second serve sometimes. Was it a tactical choice or was it because you feared Sharapova's return? Because serve is one of your strong points.
CAROLINE GARCIA: Well, very often I was leading 40 Love, 40 15, so that's a tactical choice I made. She was putting a lot of pressure on me, but I tried to forget this.
You know, serving, there was a lot of wind as well, so it wasn't easy. Sometimes the wind was in my favor. Sometimes it wasn't. So I tried to put some spin on my ball, and sometimes it would go in the net or be outside.

Q. When you said that as from 4 1 when Maria started playing much better, is this something that you felt all of a sudden? Did you feel that the match was turning there was a turning point in the match?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Well, as from the second set, it wasn't the same match. She was more in the game. She made some mistakes, but not as many as in the first set, and at 4 1 I was not as well with my game and she had more time to get organized and it was easier for her to play her game. And the opportunities I had, I would miss them or make the mistake.

Q. Do you have a feeling that you really took a lesson today with this unusual experience?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Well, right now I have not learned anything, but because I have not yet realized everything that happened. But I will eventually learn a lot from this match.

Q. From the end of the first set till 4 1, were you in heaven, sort of?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Well, I had the feeling that everything I tried I succeeded, and I was doing everything I could to succeed. I was in a good position with regards to the ball. I was very relaxed.
So I was successful, but I also did everything I had to do for my points to be winning points.

Q. There is a before and after the Hola. Did you see the Hola or the wave? Or is it just us?
CAROLINE GARCIA: I saw it.

Q. Was it a problem?
CAROLINE GARCIA: No, not at all.

Q. Caroline, you're still very young. Do you do other things that you like except from tennis?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Well, it's already a great pleasure for me to play tennis. It's a passion. It takes a lot of time, but I do it with pleasure, and I know why I do it.
And then I spend a lot of time with my family, because I think it's great. Makes me happy to be with them, because I know that they're supporting me. They're helping me a lot. Spending time with them is just great for me.

Q. I'd like to ask a second question: What's your hobby apart from tennis?
CAROLINE GARCIA: I have no special hobby.

Q. Will you play the junior tournament?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Yes.

Q. What's your ambition? You want to win?
CAROLINE GARCIA: Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment