5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2011 - Samantha Stosur

G. DULKO/S. Stosur

6 4, 1 6, 6 3

SAMANTHA STOSUR



Q. Were you at any point feeling comfortable out there today?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Um, yeah. There was definitely times when I felt like I was right in the match and I definitely had chances to try and get ahead.
I think after I won that second set I felt like, you know, I had more of the momentum and got a break up, and things really turned around again.

Q. What was the main issue you got with your game?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: I don't know. I think there's a few things from today. Obviously the conditions were pretty tough and it wasn't good for either of us, probably.
She seemed to be out ahead a little bit better and really kind of be the one dictating the points, which, for me, I'm usually the one able to do that.
Pretty much right from the first game she kind of set that tone, and it was very difficult for me to turn that around.

Q. Obviously considering your form in the last round, how disappointing is today's result?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: No doubt it's disappointing regardless of how well I played the round before. But I guess it's even maybe a bit more of a surprise, from two days' difference, you can play a really, really great match to today, which was probably about average.
So, yeah, it's definitely unfortunate, but, like I said, I think she played very well. And there was certainly times when I thought I could get myself into it regardless of how good or bad I thought I was playing.

Q. You were coughing at the change. Are you sick?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: I have had a cold for about four, five, six days. I think I'm towards the end of it, but my voice and coughs is kind of a bit worse.

Q. We expected a semifinal, in semifinal a rematch between you and Francesca Schiavone. Unfortunately you lost. Do you think that Schiavone can return in the final?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Who knows? I think there's a few players that can still do very well here, and obviously Francesca, having won last year, may have a bit of an edge with some of the girls that haven't won a Grand Slam yet.
You know, I think she can she's definitely got the possibility of doing well. Whether she can win it, we have to wait and see.

Q. Final?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Who knows? She did it once. She can do it again.

Q. We clearly saw you disappointed. What can you do to put this behind you quickly and move on?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Oh, well, I think basically just that, move on. And, you know, the year's not finished yet. There's still a few months to go, and this is only the second Grand Slam of the year.
So as disappointing as it is to leave here in the third round, I think now I've got a really good opportunity to try and prepare myself as best as I can for Wimbledon and try and have a good result there, and then obviously on the hard courts.
It's obviously very disappointing but it's hopefully not the end of the world and it's not gonna change the way I play or the way I go into my next match.

Q. I guess after such a result, does any part of you just wonder if you can ever win a Grand Slam title?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Oh, I'm not I guess I'm not thinking of it as that big a catastrophe right now because I didn't win, you know, this year. And I was a long way from doing it anyway, only being in the third round.
You know, I'm not gonna walk away from here thinking I've lost all my chances and the time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment