5/31/11

Roland Garros May 2011 - Bethanie Mattek Sands

J. JANKOVIC/B. Mattek Sands

6 2, 6 2

BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS



Q. How was your match against Jankovic?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: It was a tough one. She gets a lot of balls back, and she was liking her backhand down the line. Caught me a few times. I made too many mistakes, so I think it's pretty self explanatory why I ended up losing.

Q. I think both of you are very good friends. How did you feel when you were on the court?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: No, I felt good. Obviously when you get on court it's game time. Everybody wants to win. So that really wasn't an issue. I think we're both good competitors, and we understand when it's on the court it's on the court and it stays there.

Q. Did you chat with her a few minutes before the match?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Yeah, I saw her a little bit before. We had this miscommunication. She went first and I was supposed to be behind her and all that right before we walked on the court. But, you know, it was all fair.

Q. So you had a good laugh just before the match?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Yeah, we had a good laugh.

Q. What was this thing you had, this injury to your hand?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Yeah, I ripped open my finger and it was actually bleeding. I was getting some blood on my grip and everything.
But it's a blister on my finger.

Q. How did that happen?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Probably because I play tennis too much. (Smiling.)

Q. Did you have the blister before the match?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: No. I have sensitive hands.

Q. That was a tough day for you. I think you also lost doubles.
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Yeah, we did. We had match points, or one match point, and today wasn't the best day.
But I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are having worse days than me, so I can't complain too much.

Q. What are your plans now?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: I have no idea. (Smiling.)

Q. Just in Paris, enjoying the city?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Yeah, I mean, I'm not really a touristy person. I'll do a little bit shopping. Obviously I got to do more shopping if I would have won.
But that wasn't the case, so we'll see. We'll see where I go.

Q. Since you know pretty well Jelena, do you think she's almost at the level she was when I think she reached the final of the French Open?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: She was playing great today. I mean, you know, I can't take anything away from a her. She put me under pressure, was changing directions on the ball, served well. She's good under pressure.
So she fought through a couple deuce games early in the first set and was able to win that and kind of get ahead of me.

Q. You saw today that Stosur is out; Wozniacki also. People say it's a very open women's draw. Would you include Jankovic among the favorites?
BETHANIE MATTEK SANDS: Yeah, for sure. I think women's tennis is really deep right now, and it really shows because of how many upsets there are. So many players are playing good tennis.
We can't count out Kvitova is obviously still there. Kuznetsova. There are a lot of people that can make a run for the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment