5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 25 2001 - Zvonareva

V. ZVONAREVA/S. Lisicki

4 6, 7 5, 7 5



VERA ZVONAREVA



Q. That was quite a comeback. What was on your mind down 5 2 in the last set?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I didn't have much in my mind. I was just thinking about how to win the next point. I was just trying to concentrate on one point at a time and fight like I did since the very first point.
You know, I think I was just fighting, and I got a little bit lucky at some point and was able to turn the match around.

Q. And then Sabine, she received treatment for a long time. First I think at 5 4 and then at 6 5.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Uh huh.

Q. How did you feel then? What was your reaction inside?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Well, I think I have enough experience, and I was just trying to think about what I'm going to do next and try to keep my focus on and not pay attention to what was going on on the other side of the net.
I hope she feels okay. I heard she's feeling okay now. She's seeing doctor. That's what happens sometimes. It's part of the sport. No matter what, I had to keep doing my job. I kept fighting, and that's all.

Q. Do you know what happened to her?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I'm not sure. There is no official release, and I think she's still seeing the doctor. So there is no I don't know, maybe cramping. I don't know. I'm not sure.

Q. Do you feel like that match being a long one took a lot out of you physically going into the third round?
VERA ZVONAREVA: I don't think so. I feel pretty good. I think, you know, it was up and down match a little bit. We didn't have that many like long rallies. We both played pretty aggressive.
But obviously we spent over two hours on the court, so of course it takes some energy. But I don't think I feel good right now. We will see how it goes tomorrow, but I feel perfect, and think I'm ready and fit to play tomorrow and as many days as I need.

Q. You meet Rodionova in the next round. How much have you changed your play since you met her here last year?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Definitely a different player. I have another year of experience under my belt, and I think that helps. She's a tough opponent.
For sure I remember our match last year. I'm sure she's a different player as well. We will see how it goes. It's going to be a new day, new match, and I will try to give my best. We will see how it will go.

Q. How do you compare yourself as a player over the past 12 months? How much better are you now than you were in that match?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Um, it is hard to assess at the moment. You know, in tennis there are always some ups and downs, and you cannot play your best tennis all the time. I think last year I was not in form. It was very difficult for me.
I tried to prepare myself a little bit better for this year's French Open. We will see. I'm not really thinking about what was in the past. I'm trying to leave like today, you know. I tried to think, Okay, this is what I've done bad; this is what I've done good. What can I do to improve my game to play a little bit better in the next round?
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment