5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2001 - Kim Clijsters

A. RUS/K. Clijsters

3 6, 7 5, 6 1


KIM CLIJSTERS


Q. What happened exactly? Because you were in control of this match, and suddenly it all went wrong.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I guess I'm still trying to figure that out. You know, I felt kind of in control. I felt like I was she was missing quite a lot in the beginning of the rallies, and I felt that I was moving her around well from side to side.
Then, yeah, you know, I started doubting a little bit. I think that's, you know, on clay is something that for me is definitely the wrong attitude to have is, you know, when you start doubting yourself on any surface, but for me definitely on clay it's the wrong attitude to have.
You know, she obviously started building up more confidence, started playing a lot better and was really kind of putting me on my back foot all the time. I couldn't really play my aggressive tennis anymore in that third set.

Q. You made many mistakes during the match. Is it because of a shortage of tournament practice, or because of injury? I read that you had problems with your leg, with high heels during a wedding of one of your relatives.
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I mean, my ankle feels fine, so that has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Just, you know, I made the best with the situation that I was in, and I tried to go for it. If I felt like I wasn't ready as much as I would have liked to be, I wouldn't have come here. If I wasn't feeling like I was able to play tough matches, then I wouldn't have made that decision to come here.
Physically everything was fine.

Q. Did you have time to practice with the balls, or what is your opinion in general it had an influence in the match today or not?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I think overall the conditions were a little bit harder today. There was a lot of wind. The court was a little bit heavier.
But, again, I mean, going back to the balls, I mean, these balls I have been practicing with those balls for a long time, for a few years already, I think.
So, yeah, I mean, to me that didn't really make a difference today.

Q. What happened with your serve? Especially in the break points, you made a lot of double faults.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Not only in the break points. (Smiling.)
I was making those double faults more than I would have liked to. You know, it's I think what it all comes down to, again, with the serve is that the ball toss always has to be very accurate, always has to be the same.
I just kind of felt like I wasn't in control of that today. I felt like I was just throwing my ball toss sometimes too far to the right, sometimes too far to the left, sometimes too much out to the front.
That is very hard to get a comfortable rhythm and confidence I think, as well, on your serve. You know, I tried to. Of course, I try to every serve that I'm about to hit, I'm like, Okay. I tell myself to focus on that.
But, you know, the wind also has a little bit of an impact on that. I mean, I was hitting some first serves 130. You know, that, you know, was something that I was definitely focusing on.
That was definitely one of the big keys I think out there today, was focusing on my serve and kind of from the beginning of the rally and working my way into the points from there onwards.

Q. Regarding what happened before this tournament, the rush to be in shape here today, how big of a disappointment was it for you today?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I mean, I'm happy that I did that, that I gave myself the opportunity. I mean, it's better to try than not to try.
You know, that's my attitude. I'm not gonna sit here and say, oh, you know, maybe I shouldn't have come here. That's kind of the attitude of, you know, a real loser, I think. I gave it the best that I had and with my abilities that I had.
So I definitely don't regret it.

Q. Does Jada have any concept of Mommy won or Mommy lost?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no, not really. She's always the same. (Smiling.)
Q. You have obviously had fabulous results in slams recently, but no wins here. You say you're not you're happy you came. But what are your feelings? Are you deeply disappointed? Are you upset?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, like I said before, I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think that I would be able to play on a high level.
I was practicing well. Physically I felt that everything was almost good, and that was one of the reasons why I decided to come here.
I know that for clay it already is a tough situation if you're not feeling physically 100%, so even if it's a little bit less, you have to make up your mind.
I knew it was going to be tough physically to get ready in that certain amount of time, but I did it. I was ready. And that's why, you know, I made that decision to come. So, yeah.

Q. In your heart, do you think you can eventually win here again?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I mean, the thing that I always have in my mind, when I think about the French Open, is I've done well here many times without probably playing some of my best tennis.
So that's definitely a positive thing that you can take away from it, but it will definitely have to be better than how I played today.

Q. This was your first match against Arantxa Rus. What is your opinion about her abilities for the future?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, she's a good athlete. I think on clay I think it suits her game very well. She has a good left hander kick serve, which is always I think a little bit tricky.
I think physically I think she looks strong. I think she hits a heavy ball on clay, but I think on the hard courts I think she can still improve a little bit on strength wise.
But she's a good player. Tricky, too, because she kind of hits more with topspin on her forehand and more flat with her backhand, so it's always a little bit tricky to have those kind of opponents.

Q. You have had fabulous results in Grand Slams. Would you say your main goal now is London Olympics?
KIM CLIJSTERS: That's very, very far away.

Q. Do you think about it, maybe?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Not at the moment, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment