5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 26 2011 - Heather Watson

K. KANEPI/H. Watson

6 1, 6 3

HEATHER WATSON


Q. I guess that match is a bit of a learning curve, is it?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah, I came out very flat today and was making a lot of errors. Kanepi played very well. She's a big hitter and makes lots of winners. I can't come not on form onto the court, and when I have a little opportunity I have to take it and just get fitter and stronger.
But I feel like I've had a good couple of weeks as it's been. I'm very confident.
Now onto the grass.

Q. Had you played anybody who hits it with that power before?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah, I've played a Czech girl called Hlavackova who really smacks the ball. You have to be ready for every shot, and I just wasn't. I wasn't quick on my feet, making silly errors.
If I do hit a short ball, she's just going to punish it.

Q. Having played a word No. 16 now in a Grand Slam, do you feel that's a level that you can get to having been on court with her?
HEATHER WATSON: Yes, definitely. If I would have come more consistent today and, you know, won those points when I needed to, I felt I could have really competed hard with her and been up there with her.
Which is good, because I know that in my head. And I need to know that in my head to believe I'm going to make it, otherwise there's no chance for me.

Q. Why do you think you came up short today? Was it perhaps happyland? You were too elated the other day and there was always going to be a comedown?
HEATHER WATSON: No, I was very happy after I won my first round, but the next day I refocused and got my mind in the right mindset to win this match.
I wasn't going in to win one match in this Grand Slam. I was going in to win match by match, every single one. But, yeah, I've got to just learn from it and improve.

Q. What do you think the main things that you have learned from the four matches are then? You have to be at the level all the time? Is that the thing that you'll take out of it?
HEATHER WATSON: Yes, definitely. And with the top players, they don't give you free points. You have to win the point yourself.

Q. What is your sort of overriding emotion now? Are you a bit cross with yourself, or can you look at it more in the round, the last ten days?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah, I'm disappointed with myself now because I felt I didn't perform at my best.
All in all, I felt like I've had a good couple of weeks. I'll take this on the positive. My ranking is now in the top 100 and I'm feeling good.

Q. Obviously because of the win the other day you've been put in the spotlight. Have you found your profile being elevated in that way?
HEATHER WATSON: I feel the same as I did a couple of days ago. But I'm just going to get back on the tennis court on the grass now.
Next up for me is Nottingham, and hopefully I can do really well there.

Q. Obviously a big change from clay to grass. Are you playing the 75 in Nottingham?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah. 75? Yeah, I think so.

Q. What are your plans after that?
HEATHER WATSON: After Nottingham it's Birmingham; after Birmingham it's Eastbourne; after Eastbourne it's Wimbledon.

Q. So is there anything you're especially looking forward to when you get back to England?
HEATHER WATSON: Well, on the tennis court, tennis wise I'm looking forward playing doubles with Jocelyn Rae. Because my doubles ranking isn't where my singles is, so it's hard to enter into these tournaments because I can never get in.
Also just take a day off tomorrow because I've been playing every day for two weeks more. Three weeks now. Maybe rest my body and have some fun.

Q. What does that involve?
HEATHER WATSON: Well, tomorrow, half of it's traveling. After that, maybe watch a movie, have a nice dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment