5/31/11

Roland Garros May 2011 - Varvara Lepchenko

B. MATTEK SANDS/V. Lepchenko

6 3, 2 6, 6 3

VARVARA LEPCHENKO

Q. Can you tell us about the third set. Early in the third set it seemed to turn a little bit when she broke you a couple times.
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: Um, I don't really even know what to say about the third set. I mean, compared to the second set, it's very big difference.
So I'm not even sure what happened out there.

Q. Tell us what you think of her game. What was she doing well, I guess, especially in the third set?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: I guess she was just not missing, and I had few unlucky shots that kind of decided the set, I mean, the third set. Few points here; few points there.

Q. Do you know each other at all?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: Yeah, sure.

Q. What's your relationship like? Where have you crossed paths?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: I don't know. I mean, we're friendly to each other. We talk sometimes in the locker room. Just average relationship. Nothing special.

Q. She is perhaps playing the best tennis of her career. I wondered if you knew or could explain why she seems to be better now than before?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: I think you should ask her that question, because I don't know.

Q. You were asked about your citizenship the other day. How long has it been since you've considered yourself an American player?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: Well, I been playing for U.S. for a long time, probably more than six years. I've considered every time I come out and play a tournament I represent the United States. Not as a citizen yet, but it's just a matter of time and paperwork.

Q. Did you win the tournament in Charlottesville this year? I can't remember.
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: I never won the tournament there; I was in the finals.

Q. This year?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: No. No, I didn't play this year. I haven't been playing for a few years now. I limit my challenger events.

Q. You should come back. You have a big fan base in Charlottesville.
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: Thank you.

Q. Did you ever play Bethanie there? She's played there a few times.
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: No, I don't think so.

Q. Well, we'd like to invite you to come back whenever you can.
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: Okay. Thanks.

Q. I see that your hometown that you live in now is Allentown, Pennsylvania. How did you end up there?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: They had a tournament there, so I came and I played, and I really liked the weather, the atmosphere. Everything was suiting me, so I just stayed. It's close to the north. I'm from a country that had four seasons, so I've decided to stay.

Q. I was going to say, does it remind you of home at all?
VARVARA LEPCHENKO: Not really. No, it's nothing like home at all. Just I liked it there. That's pretty much it.
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment