5/31/11

Roland Garros May 27 2011 - Gisella Dulko

G. DULKO/S. Stosur

6 4, 1 6, 6 3

GISELA DULKO





Q. You said before the match that you probably weren't the favorite. How did you manage to turn that around and beat her today?
GISELA DULKO: Well, I think I played really well in the beginning. I was trying to be very aggressive, and I did it very well.
You know, Sam is a very tough player, very powerful player, so if I wasn't that aggressive, I think it was going to be really difficult for me to manage the points.
I think this was really key for me to start well, and then win the first set. And I think after I have a few ups and downs, and I was lucky to play very good tennis at the end of the match.

Q. Was becoming an aunt yesterday maybe giving you a special motivation going into this match?
GISELA DULKO: Well, yes. I don't know how to say nephews were born yesterday, two, twins, so it was very special day. Yesterday night I was awake really late. You know, was very emotional, because I would love to be there, but I'm here.
And I tried to do my best today, and that's why I did this towel for them.

Q. Two boys?
GISELA DULKO: No, one and one.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish, please.

Q. The other day you were saying you had to do the same I mean, compared to what you did in Madrid, but last longer. During the third set you really played well. So what are the differences between today and Madrid?
GISELA DULKO: Well, I think the beginning of my match was really very similar to Madrid's. I played well to start with. It was okay for me, and I think that this is the only thing I can do to seize these opportunities against one of the best players in the world.
Now, I've said many times that I didn't want to play this way, but then it happened, anyway. I was not perhaps that intense when I played during the second set, but then afterwards it was better. I could finish my match more easily. I was a bit nervous. Nobody realized, I think, but I was so tense. I felt now the end of the match is coming near, but I'm really happy with the way I managed the match.

Q. During the third set when you were down 40 0, do you think it's the end of the match? And then you fought for each point?
GISELA DULKO: 40 0? I can't remember this. She was up 40 0? I can't remember this score. Anyway, I've always tried to remain very positive, because the worst that might ever happen is not to believe I would have again chances to win the match.
So maybe to start with I was very aggressive, and then during the third set I realized that I could really be in the match. I played long rallies, I adapted to her game. I was aggressive, because this is where I can win points when I'm more aggressive.

Q. How would you appraise the success in your career?
GISELA DULKO: Well, apart from this match, I think it means a lot in terms of emotions, because I'm very sensitive, you know, or sensible, rather, and the fact that I couldn't be with my nephews yesterday, with my nephews in Buenos Aires, this was something very important to me.
But, as I said, on the towel yesterday, as I wrote on the towel, it was worth it. I think it's one of the most important matches for me, emotionally speaking.

Q. Well, usually when people write something about you, they say you're a very good player. People always say that you're very pretty. Or handsome. Don't you think that the journalists should talk about your tennis talents today?
GISELA DULKO: Well, I think that many journalists describe my tennis very precisely. I have been playing for many years. I have had my ups and downs, but I'm really happy with my career and my career development.
I think that there are some journalists who don't just look at my physical aspect. They respect me as a player. They think I can still improve.

Q. Here again, a good match for you during a Grand Slam tournament. What do you think about the matches to come? That is, the tournament and the courts you're going to play on?
GISELA DULKO: Well, I feel comfortable and at ease. I won an incredible match against one of the finalists, who was a finalist last year. The fourth round is going to be very difficult, of course.
I expect something really tough. However, I don't think that this is too much pressure. I have sometimes lost matches I shouldn't have lost.
But, you know, sometimes after winning matches, I played against excellent players, and this was okay. Nothing I could reproach me with. I'm going to play with someone who is going to play her best tennis during the fourth round, round of 16. I will do what I have always done so far. I will play my best tennis and enjoy it.

Q. There were moments when you decided to come to the net and you won important points. Don't you think you should come to the net more often?
GISELA DULKO: Absolutely, this is correct. I always have good results when I can come to the net and move forward. I think I should convince myself about this. I should be convinced that I can do this correctly. I should do this more often.

Q. She was losing a lot of points when you were at the net. What can you say about this?
GISELA DULKO: Well, yes, mainly when I used my backhand I could win many points, and with my slices, as well. But I didn't do this enough, because I had my own doubts about myself.
However, I'm sure I'm going to make progress in the future as far as this is concerned.

Q. What about the court? Was it faster? What about the balls? People have been talking about the balls so much. We asked the question many times to the men, but not yet to women.
GISELA DULKO: Well, the court was perfect for me. It's the first time I've played on the central court. This morning during warmup I was surprised by the size of this court. I played on the Suzanne Lenglen, but we didn't have as much size on the side. Chatrier is so huge.
And I was thinking about the balls this week, and I thought, Maybe they are faster, that's true, and they bounce more. And, however, there are some differences compared to last year's. I think they're slightly faster, but this really didn't really bother me.

No comments:

Post a Comment