5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 24 2011 - Heather Watson

H. WATSON/S. Foretz Gacon

7 6, 6 1

HEATHER WATSON

Q. Well done. How has your first Grand Slam win left you feeling?
HEATHER WATSON: So happy. I'm really happy with just getting through that first round. There was a few nerves there, as people could see. I double-faulted three times in the last game. Not the last game; second-to-last game.
I didn't feel nervous. I was just going for it more because I knew I would have to close it out. She wouldn't give it to me. But in the end, I'm really, really pleased with that. I came off court, and the lady was asking me what time I wanted to go to press and I had no idea what she was saying because I was so in Happy Land.

Q. I was just reflecting again on only a few days ago, two weeks ago we were in Rome and you didn't qualify there and you didn't seem to be in a particular happy mood. Can you just talk about the last couple of weeks and what the transformation has been and why you think it's here you are and you're winning a Grand Slam match?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah. After Rome I wasn't very happy at all. I hadn't had a good week in France and then not a great week in Rome either.
Like I said, I turned over that new leaf of just enjoying, relaxed, and playing tennis, because it's what I love to do. I love it because I have a lot fun doing it, and I didn't want to stress myself out and put so much pressure on myself. That's what I've been doing, and it's been working.

Q. You seem to stay sort of calm. You didn't panic with the set points. Is that usually kind of one of your strengths?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah. I think she had two set points, and I just think to myself...

Q. She had five actually.
HEATHER WATSON: Oh, she had five?

Q. Four.
HEATHER WATSON: I just remember the two in the tiebreak. Yeah, it's all just a blur.

Q. Quite a lot anyway.
HEATHER WATSON: I just think either way I've got to keep hitting the ball. If I start to push and be tentative and not believe in my shots, there's no chance I'm going to win. These girls at this level just don't give it to you.
Yeah, I just stayed calm and I thought, if you win this point, or if I lose this point, it doesn't matter. I'm just going to keep fighting every single point. If I lost the set, it's a fresh start, new set. Then I'll just keep fighting.

Q. What does it mean to you to break into the top 100?
HEATHER WATSON: Oh, yeah. (Smiling.) That's been my goal and I've achieved my goal. I actually want to get into the top 100 by the end of the year. So I'm going to have to set new goals for myself. I'm so pleased with that.
Yeah. (Smiling.)

Q. British tennis is beset by various records, most of them absolutely dreadful. It is nice to start erasing some of those? Is it about time people started getting rid of those records?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah, I don't really know much about the records, but we've got a lot of good players coming through. Anne and Bally have been around a long time and they're very experienced, and they know the game and they know just everything about tennis.
There are some upcoming players and I feel like I'm getting older because I've just had my birthday. Laura is coming up, and on the boys' side there's George Morgan and Ollie Golding. We're starting to see that we do need hard work? When I am back at NTC I see everybody working very hard to try and reach their goals.

Q. Did you allow yourself to think at all about what you might be achieving when you got to match point?
HEATHER WATSON: I was thinking about that after the first set, and I tried to wipe that out of my mind because I knew there was no way that was going to help me.
In the second set I was taking it point by point and not thinking about it at all. I played so much better and was so aggressive and got her on the back foot.

Q. Now the 17-year wait for everybody here is out of the way. How optimistic are you that you can get a couple more wins here this week?
HEATHER WATSON: Very optimistic. I've been playing well. I came through quallies. I'm feeling confident with the wins. I'm playing Kanepi next, and I watched her play on telly a few days ago against Wickmayer, so I know how she plays a little bit.
I'm going in positive. I served well today. I believe in myself, which is the most important thing.

Q. What did your mum have to say about everything?
HEATHER WATSON: She didn't say much. She just hugs and kisses me and gives me high fives.

Q. But it's nice actually to mention your own name amongst Kanepis and Wickmayers. That's what we're hoping and you want to be. I think you said in Rome you would rather be 99; 100 wasn't satisfactory.
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah.

Q. To get to double digits rather than triple. But to mention yourself with all these fine players is great for you, isn't it?
HEATHER WATSON: Yeah, it's great for me. It's great to put myself in the position to play against these top players and know where I have to be. Just as long as I keep giving myself these opportunities, I'll keep improving and become more experienced and learn a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment