5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2011 - Samantha Stosur

S. STOSUR/S. Halep

6 0, 6 2

SAMANTHA STOSUR

Q. That must have felt really good out there. Talk us through it.
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Yeah, felt really good out there. Obviously got off to a really good start, which helps. To break and then to manage to hold serve from Love-40 down I think really kind of set the tone for the match.
I think if you can get off to those good starts, especially when they have some opportunities, it can be a bit deflating. So I thought from that point on I kept the foot down, and, yeah, played a really good match.

Q. Do you feel like you really got quickly into this tournament now? Like now, following today's match, that you're really sort of hitting your straps already?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Well, I think after the way I played today, yeah, I would like to think so. But, you know, whether you play fantastic today or really good the next time, it doesn't really matter as long as you're getting through them.
And then you try and obviously get through each one and see what happens.

Q. What did you learn from your match with Maria in Rome? That second set was very tight. You were on the verge of breaking through.
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Um, well, I guess in that match I picked up a few things. Obviously I've never beaten Maria, so tried to, again, learn as much as I could about her game and what works well for me and doesn't work so well.
Yeah, I nearly got myself back into it. I think had some breakpoints at 4-All of 5-4 to get back in. If you win that, you don't know what could happen.
So, yeah, there was definitely some positives to come out of that match.

Q. Did you leave sort of uplifted by that match rather than the fact that you haven't beaten her yet?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: I was definitely disappointed. I wasn't at my best physically that day either, so I wasn't going to read too much into it and be really down about the loss.
It was a decent match. Like I said, there was good, positive things to take away from it.

Q. The women's draw is very open this year. So many players can go all the way. Talk about what it means for women's tennis that it's so open this year.
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Well, I think if that's the case when there's lots of people that are capable of winning a tournament, yeah, I think some people will look at that and say there's no standout player and that's not very good.
And then you can look at it and think that there are a big group of players that are really competitive with each other and capable of doing it. So I think there are really good players out there that haven't won Grand Slams yet that maybe this will be the time.
Like I said, I think anyone can beat anyone - from the top 10 especially. Yeah, there could be some good matchups.

Q. Do you feel today's performance shows that maturity of your game?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Yeah, I suppose it kind of does. I think, like I said before, getting off to that good start and being mentally tough and getting through that and picking up the game as the match went on is really, I guess, encouraging to be able to play like that the whole way through.

Q. Do you feel like against people like Marie or even the taller players that you now have the game and you can mix things up more than you could in the past?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Absolutely. I think obviously playing different game styles you've got to be able to do different things. I've got the type of game that I am capable of I think changing up the pace, hitting a bit more spin, hitting a bit flatter, and maybe doing some other things that some other players don't liked to do and are a bit more one dimensional.
So I think I've got all these different attributes. I've just got to be able to use them in the right time and in the right way.

Q. Do you look at the draw as things progress, or do you just look at what you've got coming up? Do you scan to see what's happened in other matches?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Yeah, I look at the scoreboards and see a few upsets and see what's going on. I wouldn't be able to tell you where everyone is placed in the draw.

Q. Dulko up next, and you've beaten her twice on clay just recently. How do you feel about that?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Well, I think, yeah, good matchup for me, I think. We played a three-setter in Madrid which I was able to get through.
Yeah, we both know each other's games quite well obviously. It's really going to come down to who can play better on the day, I think.
I've got to go out there and still play aggressively. She can play well and be tricky. It's kind of up to me to go out there and step up and play the way that I want to play.

Q. Just a quick one on Bethanie Mattek-Sands. She seems to be one of the chummier players around. Do you agree with that assessment? Do you find that she's sort of well-liked by the other players?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: I think she's quite well-liked obviously. I think she obviously shows a little bit of outspokenness with what she wears and whatnot. I don't know anyone who doesn't like her or anything like that.

Q. What hobbies do you have? If there are any, what attracted you to it and how did you get into it?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Um, hobbies? (Laughter.) That's two random ones in a row. Um, well, I guess, I don't know. What do you call a hobby? Is going to the beach a hobby or just something you like to do?
I don't particularly like reading or anything like that. I find things I liked to.

Q. Paddle board?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: (Laughing.) But, yeah, but I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment