5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2011 - Jelena Jankovic

J. JANKOVIC/A. Bondarenko

6 3, 6 1

JELENA JANKOVIC



Q. Is it okay to say it was an easy start of the tournament for you today?
JELENA JANKOVIC: You know, it's never easy, especially in the first round. You know, you have to get your rhythm and get used to the conditions.
Today was a little bit windy, so the ball was swirling around. But, you know, I just, you know, played, you know, the best I could, you know, in these kind of circumstances and did my job.

Q. What is your state of mind coming to Roland Garros after some weeks with ups and downs?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yes, I really love playing in Roland Garros. I was I think three times in the semifinals. I really love these courts.
Hopefully I can do well here again. Obviously my dream is to one day win it. I will always try my best.

Q. They have been doing the Sunday start here. This is the sixth year. What do you think about that? Is it kind of odd playing on the Sunday before?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, it's a little bit different playing on the Sunday. You know, I think I will have two days' break, which is a little bit different, because usually we play one day and have one day off and then we play the next day.
So I think now I will have two days off, which is a little bit different to the usual Grand Slams if you get to play on Sunday. That's the way it is.
I was drawn to I was on the schedule for today, and I just did my job. Hopefully I'm looking forward to my next round.

Q. You sometimes practice with men. Just wondering if you took away the serve, do you think the women from the baseline only could sort of compete with the men at this point?
JELENA JANKOVIC: You think?

Q. Asking you.
JELENA JANKOVIC: (Laughter.) Um, you know, I don't know. I practiced, you know, couple times with, you know, the professional men, some top players. You know, obviously I was not playing points against them. We were hitting from the baseline.
I think the men are faster and can hit the ball harder. But we can play. You can rally with them and hit balls with them. The biggest thing is the serve. They serve much harder, much more maybe precise. That's probably the biggest difference.
Obviously I think even from the baseline they're better and more powerful and overall faster. At least for me. Some other girls maybe can compete with the men. I'm still not there. (Laughter.)

Q. Do you notice any difference with the tennis balls that they're using this year?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, you know, I just played a couple matches in Brussels and here, my first round. I think it's a little lighter. I think the ball flies a little bit more, especially when it's windy. It tends to take off and really move around.
That's the most that's the biggest difference actually.

Q. Did that bother you?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Not really. You just have to get used to it. You know, you have to feel the timing and get the right rhythm how you have to hit the ball so you get used to it, because it's different to the other balls which are a little bit heavier and stick to the racquet a little bit more.

Q. Do you think that could give certain players help?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yeah, obviously some players, you know, like these kind of balls better than some others; some maybe not, they don't like it. It's all individual. Everybody has different kinds of taste.

Q. What are your thoughts on what Novak Djokovic is achieving right now? How are you seeing it?
JELENA JANKOVIC: How I see it?

Q. Yeah, what you feel about it.
JELENA JANKOVIC: It's amazing. There is really not much to say about him. He's had so much success since the beginning of the year. He's playing really great tennis, unbelievable tennis, and so far has been unbeatable. I wish him good luck to continue in this way.
He's a fellow Serbian player, and I'm really proud of him how he has been doing.

Q. Every Grand Slam has its own personality and stuff. What makes the French Open special for you as opposed to the other three? What's the defining thing?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Probably the crowd. The crowd is very enthusiastic. The crowd really gets involved into the matches and really love tennis.
As you can see, there are a lot people coming out and watching. That's probably one thing that I really appreciate while I'm playing the French Open.

Q. Off tennis, what hobbies do you have? What do you enjoy doing as far as those hobbies are concerned? And how did you get involved in whatever that hobby might be?
JELENA JANKOVIC: My hobby is sleeping. (Laughter.) That has been my hobby lately. What do you do in your free time? Sleep.
Um, you know, I really like fashion. At the moment as well, I like reading books. I like as well, you know just like any other normal girl, especially while I'm here I'm here with my mom and team, and we like to go shopping and spend some time.
As well here it's another good thing that there are so many historical things and you have time to go out and see some sites, do some sightseeing and enjoy.

Q. And you're reading what?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I'm reading some book, but I cannot really tell you. Maybe I'll tell you when this tournament finishes. (Laughter.)
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment