5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2011 - Samantha Stosur

S. STOSUR/I. Benseova

6 2, 6 3

SAMANTHA STOSUR

Q. It was a very solid start and great start of the tournament today. Or how were you feeling on the center court?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Oh, it was nice. It was nice to get back out there again and play a really solid first round. So I thought I played really quite well today. I served quite well. The conditions weren't always so easy with some gusts of wind and whatever else, but, yeah, overall, very happy.

Q. How did you find the ball and the ball speed?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Fine, yeah, good. I think they're still pretty bouncy even this morning when it's not too lively out there and the sun isn't beating down quite as much as in the afternoon. It still gets up high and you can really kind of manipulate it how you want.

Q. What were your thoughts as you walked out there, you know, a year later? What was the first thing that sort of went through your head?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: That there weren't quite as many people this time. (Laughter.)
No, it was a nice feeling. Obviously I thought of last year's last match, but, no, it was nice to get out there again and, of course, if you can play on any court here you'd want to play on that one.

Q. Do you feel any pressure, though? Obviously you were one away from winning last year, and now it's starting again that you have to prove, you know, yourself to yourself, or to anyone?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: No, I don't think I have to necessarily prove anything. I think having made semis and a final, I think that kind of proves that I have been able to back it up and it wasn't a fluke the first time. Of course I'd love to go a little bit further this year, but I think it's more just wanting to achieve that rather than I have to do it because of X, Y, and Z.

Q. Do the balls-- do you notice a difference from last year?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Um, to be honest, not really. They might be a little bit harder. I don't think that's a bad thing or a good thing. It's just what they are.
No, I think they still go through the air. You can still for me hit with speed and hit the ball hard, they still about drop. Yeah, I think they're fine.

Q. This is the sixth year they've started this tournament on the Sunday, the only Grand Slam who does that. Do you think it's a good idea? Do you kind of not have an opinion? Would you prefer it to be like the others? Or just your thoughts on it.
SAMANTHA STOSUR: It's just different. Obviously it's different. You've got an extra day, but I think with all the others not doing it, it definitely is a bit of, not a shock, but it's just weird knowing that, okay, my tournament starts on Sunday and then I think you get two days off now.
So it's just a bit of a different feel, and I guess there's still a lot more people here practicing today than playing matches. You've just got to get your head around it.
I think if you're prepared for it, then it's fine.

Q. Would you prefer not to play on this day?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: In some ways, yes, but in other ways it doesn't really matter. I'm into the second round pretty early, so that's also a good thing.

Q. How did you feel physically? Are you 100% now after that virus last week?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Yeah, I feel fine out there now, so I guess-- yeah, again, good to get this one out of the way. You can have another couple of days off from matches, and, yeah, maybe for any last little residual bugs hanging around can you get rid of them. Yeah, I felt fine today.

Q. Your thoughts on the second-round opponent?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Can you tell me who it is?

Q. Simona.
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Oh, Halep. Yeah. We played last year. Yeah, I haven't seen her play since last year, so I guess I have to remember what that actually was, but she's come probably a long way since that time. I think she was a qualifier last year, obviously now she's directly in. I think she's around 60 or so so she's improving. I definitely have to be on my game.

Q. Do you think your game has improved-- how much do you think your game has improved from this time last year or has it?
SAMANTHA STOSUR: Oh, I think I'm overall getting better and better. I hope I'm getting a better player, more complete player as each year goes on, but I think this time last year obviously I played some of the best matches of my career, and hopefully I can do that again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment