5/31/11

Roland Garros May 28 2011 - Yanina Wickmayer

A. RADWANSKA/Y. Wickmayer

6 4, 6 4


YANINA WICKMAYER



Q. I would like to know, what was missing for you to repeat what you did in the Fed Cup?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, her forehand is her weakness, but she did everything she could to prevent me from using my backhand down the line. She did it really well.
Sometimes I could win some very good points, but I did not always have a chance to be aggressive enough. She gave it all. She did a good match, and I did not did my best match.

Q. Should you feel sorry about one thing regarding this match, what would it be?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, sometimes I could have been more aggressive, especially on my serve, 4 All in the first set. But I think she's the kind of person who played the right kind of game today. She kept me very long on my backhand. She played her best shots all the time. That made the difference.

Q. She varies her game a lot. Is she the kind of opponent who always brings everything a back and does not play on a given pace? Are you disturbed by that kind of player?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Yes, I think so. And on clay, my shots do not hurt as much as they would on a faster surface. I had to fight for every single point and for every single winning shot. All my shots had to be perfect before I could win a point.
She did a good match. She varied a lot. It wasn't easy.

Q. So what will be the summary of this week and this tournament?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, I played some good matches. Today I lost to somebody who's got far more experience at this level than I have.
She played the way she was supposed to play against me, and I could not find the solution to beat her today. I think it's overall positive. I did a good tournament.
Q. What do you think? You're close to the top 20; you've already played a semifinal in a Grand Slam. Here it's third round again like last year. What's lacking? You're still young, but what's lacking for you to go one step further?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, as I said two days ago, I need to find a balance between being aggressive and not making too many mistakes. My serve is something that I need to work on. I need to improve my first serve percentage, and that's very important. In all my matches this percentage is still too low, and that's I lose points.
So I still can improve a lot. But all in all, it's positive.

Q. What about next week and the following weeks? What's on your schedule, especially regarding your back?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, I'll take a few days off, see how my back is recovering, and then I will start preparing I'll do some fitness for the lawn tournaments, s'Hertogenbosch, and especially Wimbledon.
So I'll start preparing myself physically, and then go on the tournaments.

Q. You're really crazy about tennis. You think about tennis all the time. You sleep thinking about tennis. Are you going to follow the rest of the tournament on TV?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, yes, if there are some interesting matches.

Q. Who do you see winning this year in the women's draw? Who's your favorite?
YANINA WICKMAYER: Well, the draw is very open. It's very difficult to say. Sharapova plays very well right now. She might win.

No comments:

Post a Comment