5/31/11

Roland Garros May 29 011 - Francesca Schiavone

F. SCHIAVONE/J. Jankovic

6 3, 2 6, 6 4

FRANCESCA SCHIAVONE


Q. It was a very tight match. What do you think made the difference today?
FRANCESCA SCHIAVONE: I think the key was when I came back in the third set, and I really was much more consistent than before. With my spin, I could control a little bit more than her.

Q. Now that the top three seeds are out of this tournament since Zvonareva lost today, does that add more pressure on you?
FRANCESCA SCHIAVONE: No. We live with pressure, so from the start we have to organize ourself at the best and to play feeling the pressure, and so with the good balance between good play and pressure.
So tomorrow or in two days will be another match. I say every day that you can't fly too much or you have always to watch the next step and next match.
So we will see. For sure it's interesting, but in the woman tennis now is really, really open. Many players play good.

Q. You won the title last year. Nadal, also. But Nadal this year has lost a bit of confidence. What about yourself? How do you compare yourself to last year? Better or playing just as good?
FRANCESCA SCHIAVONE: Better for tennis? No. But better like experienced, like person. I can improve more and play better than today or some days ago, yes.

Q. It's not about today's match, but Patty Schnyder, she just announced her retirement. You guys are kind of like same generation, so could you give us any comments on her retirement?
FRANCESCA SCHIAVONE: Patty was she's great, because she's really simple person, and I think she sign history in tennis. She was been top 10 for many, many years. Great talent with lefty. Was not easy for me to play against her.
I hope she can find good life, next life with husband. And that's okay. That's life.

Q. It always looks very spectacular when you go in the decision of the match. What did you think when it was so close in the end? Is that like improvising? Or is that a plan, going to the net and putting the other one under pressure? Or it's just coming naturally in the moment?
FRANCESCA SCHIAVONE: No, no, I have to think to go inside. I tried to do it before, but I couldn't because my ball was not so deep. Then I found a good angle, and I played a little bit more deep with spin, and I had the chance to serve good, go to the net.
That was the key. I should do maybe a little bit more before. But when you feel it's time to do it, you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment