5/31/11

Roland Garros May 29 2011 - Vera Zvonareva

A. PAVLYUCHENKOVA/V. Zvonareva

7 6, 2 6, 6 2

VERA ZVONAREVA


Q. It's disappointing for you? Can you talk about the third set? You got the momentum going and this game at 2 1, maybe it was the key today?
VERA ZVONAREVA: No, I don't think it was the key. I think, you know, potentially I can play much better tennis.
But overall I fought well. I tried my best and I give it the best chance. I had chances in the first set and I had chances in the third set, like you said, but, you know, I couldn't take them.
Well, that's, I guess, part of the game. I know what I have to work on and what I have to improve. But I'm you know, I should be satisfied. You know, the whole tournament I wasn't playing my best tennis and I wasn't yeah, I could have played much better, but I still made it to the fourth round.
Of course when you play less than 50% of your potential, it's very tough to win the fourth round of a Grand Slam.

Q. Can you talk a bit maybe about her game? Because she's a young player and she played a great match today.
VERA ZVONAREVA: Yeah, for sure she played a great match. She's been very consistent, and she's definitely young and she's got great potential.
I'm sure we will see her a lot in the future. Always tough to play against her, but, you know, like there are a lot of great girls, as well. We'll see how it goes in the future.

Q. To me you seemed the best player on court today, but you struggled on the important points. Do you think there is something of a mental problem today with you?
VERA ZVONAREVA: There is no mental problem. I fought hard. I fought the best I can. I don't think I struggled on key points. I just there were a couple, yeah, but there were a lot that I did will.
It's just that she played a little bit more aggressive, she took more risk, and she was able to dictate the points. And when she was doing it, it was tough for me. But and I couldn't take yeah. I think every time I was taking the risk, I wasn't so consistent.
That's why I was playing a little bit too passive. It's not acceptable at this stage of the Grand Slam.

Q. If you had maybe to pick one side of your game that now you're not comfortable with, what would it be?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Um, I think at the moment, considering we're playing on the clay, I think the precision and depth of my shots is not there. You have to on the clay, you have to be more precise. You have to put more rotation on the ball, and I was playing a little bit too short and too flat. That's why I was giving the chance to my opponent to take advantage.
It is acceptable on the grass. It's acceptable on the hard courts. And actually you can put your opponent in defense with those kind of shots. But on the clay court I shouldn't be using them, and I was using them too much.

Q. What will be your schedule before Wimbledon?
VERA ZVONAREVA: Eastbourne and Wimbledon, two tournaments one tournament and Wimbledon.

No comments:

Post a Comment