5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 27 2011 - Caroline wozniacki

D. HANTUCHOVA/C. Wozniacki

6 1, 6 3

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI

Q. You've never looked really in control of the match. Can you explain what happened in your opinion?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: She played very well. She played very, very well today, you know, better than me, for sure. You know, she knew what she was going to go out there and do. She was just too good.
I just need to get back on the court and practice, and come back stronger.

Q. It was so difficult for you to play dominant on clay? Difficult for you?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, it's definitely not the surface that I like the most, but I, you know, was still hoping that it was going to be better than this.
But then again Daniela is a good opponent. She played very well today, and if she keeps playing like this, she's tough to beat.

Q. Difficult for you being No. 1 and everyone is waiting for you, the big win for you? Is it difficult? Do you feel the pressure?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I don't feel the pressure. The only one I feel pressure from is myself to go and give my all for every match and, you know, obviously I'm a competitor. I love winning. I don't like losing.
You know, sometimes it's like this in the game, and you cannot do anything. Right now, you know, I can't do anything about the loss other than just get back on the practice court and improve and be better for next time.

Q. Tough day. You're lucky to have a dad in your life who's former professional athlete who has been with you obviously throughout. You had a conversation with him afterwards. What did your dad say to you about this?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, he just said, you know, Daniela played better than you today. It's a tough loss, and I know that it's not fun for you right now, but it's the sport and we just you know, we know what we can improve, we know what we can do. I mean, the world still goes on and we still have the next tournament next week.
You know, there is nothing you can do about it now, so just yeah. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Q. 128 players, only 1 can win.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, exactly. I mean, there's only going to be one winner here. You know that from the beginning. So there's 127 others that are going to go away from here with a loss.
I'm one of them this year. You know, I'm definitely gonna try to do better in Wimbledon, and we just have to see.

Q. This is the first time since 1971 that the top two seeds in the women draw have gone out without reaching the fourth round at Roland Garros. Do you think that is demonstration of the fact that the women's game is in a good situation now because anyone can beat anyone, or is it lacking someone with a bit of gravitas like a Nadal or a Federer?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, you know, I get so many questions about the women's depth of the game, if you deserve it, all these kind of things.
You know, I know that everyone has to write a story, but, I mean, tennis is a sport where only one can win. There are no ties. You cannot go off the court and both of the players are happy.
So, you know, there's a lot of great players out there. I mean, Kim had a tough loss yesterday. I had a tough loss today. That's what happens.
You know, it's a game. When you go out there you have 50% chance of winning and you want to take the percentages to you.
You know, since we're No. 1 and 2, it means that we must be doing something right. You know, it's just unfortunate to lose in a Grand Slam, but that's what happens, and we just need to move forward.

Q. Are you happy with your schedule or do you think you might make changes moving forward?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: I'm happy about my schedule. I'm feeling fine. You know, I'm feeling confident. I'm playing well. Today Daniela was playing better, and that's it. You know, I'm young and I still you know, I get experience every time. You learn more from your losses than you do from your wins.
Definitely it's not fun to be here right now with a loss, but, you know, that's what happens. I'm gonna be back as a better player when you see me next time.

Q. You don't think having last week off would have made any difference? You're happy you played Brussels?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I don't think it would have made any difference.

Q. People talking about the No. 1 and not winning a slam. Does that mystify you? Does it irritate you? Or do you just shrug it off and say, I don't understand it? When you hear all that conversation, what's your feeling about it?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, to be honest, I don't read the newspapers, first of all. Second of all, you know, everyone always has an opinion.
It doesn't matter, you know. When I was younger, people told me, yeah, yeah, right, you'll never be a top player. You're from Denmark. We don't have the mentality. Blah, blah, blah.
And, you know, it really doesn't matter. For me I know what I'm capable of. I know I'm a great player. I'm doing well, and, you know, I had a loss today. That's what happens. You know, I'll be back even better.

Q. You mentioned Wimbledon. What do you think of your chances there compared with the three other Grand Slams?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I definitely enjoy playing on grass. I think it's a great surface.
You know, I've done well on it before, and, you know, I'm looking forward to go there. And I really enjoy the atmosphere and just the whole I don't know. There is something homey about Wimbledon and living in a house and having the whole family there. I'm really looking forward to that tournament. You know, I think I can do well.

Q. Do you feel just as comfortable on grass as on other surfaces?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Yeah, definitely hard courts is my favorite surface. Grass I feel very comfortable on. And clay is, you know, my least favorite surface, but I think I can play well on it, as well. I think I'm pretty much an all around player.

Q. When the match started and she was obviously playing at a high level, what were you trying to do? Because it seemed at times you seemed a little bit lost, and maybe you felt the same way.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: No, I obviously tried to do a few things, but she every time I stepped it up a little bit, she stepped it up, as well, and, you know, she just didn't really give me a chance to come back in the match.
Okay. I went from 4 1 to 4 3, I think, but, you know, she played well. She played with good depth.
Yeah, she's playing well at the moment, and obviously I tried to do a few things, but it just didn't work out today.

Q. What were you trying to do strategically?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Well, I tried to do more angles and then I tried to hit deeper, a little bit higher. But still, you know, it just didn't work out.

Q. You were planning on being here I guess eight more days. Now that you don't have those eight days, is there anything you're sort of looking forward to doing?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Now?

Q. Yeah. You have eight days that maybe you would have been committed to playing Roland Garros.
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Obviously I would have loved to be here still. I'd be playing for the next eight days. No doubt about it.
But now, I don't know. I really don't like to be around a tournament when I'm not playing, because, I mean, it's just you know, you feel like you're supposed to be on the court and be playing.
So I don't think I'll stick around for too much longer, but still I have something on Tuesday that I would like to do here, so I don't know. We'll see.
I'm not sure. I might go home for a few days and come back for Tuesday or I don't know what I'll do.

Q. Is there any chance, any progress with you working with Martina?
CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Right now there's no progress on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment