5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 24 2001 - Ivanovic

J. LARSSON/A. Ivanovic

7 6, 0 6, 6 2



ANA IVANOVIC

Q. Can you just tell us what went wrong out there?
ANA IVANOVIC: It's tough, you know. I had lots of chances in the first set and I was a little bit disappointed I couldn't use those set points that I had.
And then I started playing a little bit better in the second set, and then, yeah, just in the third set really I pulled back again, and she started to make a lot more balls.
I wasn't as aggressive, as dominating as I was in the second set.
Yeah, just disappointed the way I played.

Q. Looked like in the third set that you were almost without practice, so how much practice did you get in with the wrist injury? It looked like your rhythm was completely off there.
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, it was actually quite gusty today, so it was hard to find the rhythm throughout the whole match. And also I felt like I was running out of power in the end and couldn't really adjust small steps and dominate with my forehand or couldn't really put that extra zip on the ball.
I actually got like two or three days' practice where I could hit my backhands because of the wrist inflammation.
You know, it's tough, but, hey, that's how it is sometimes.

Q. Starting at the beginning of the year with the stomach thing, it's been hard, I would imagine, to just get on court consistently and find your game. It seems like you have some kind of injury almost every month, eh?
ANA IVANOVIC: That's been really hard. Like I felt in March like before Indian Wells and Miami I could put some really good practice in and I was feeling healthy. That was good, you know, and I could continually to play better. Then Fed Cup, I injured my stomach again. It was always stop and go.
I had physios traveling with me like last couple of weeks, but it hasn't really worked out the way it was supposed to. Just very frustrating to get this, because, you know, like with the wrist it was inflammation. I woke up with it the next morning after match. It's not really anything I hurt during playing.
It's very frustrating.

Q. What have they said about the wrist? You have tendinitis and you just have to rest and deal with the pain because there's nothing really they can do?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, exactly. I did lots of treatments. Yeah, I was kind of like the bone slid a little bit and caused like friction, and that caused inflammation.
So I just had to rest and massage a lot like through arm and shoulder.
It went away. Last couple of days I could hit my backhands, but it's very hard because you go through emotional stress, as well.

Q. How serious is this wrist injury? I mean, will that require surgery? Would you possibly skip Wimbledon to really make it heal completely?
ANA IVANOVIC: If it was up to doctors, I think they would make surgery on anything.
No, it's fine. Now I don't feel pain, and, you know, I'll keep doing treatments. Now, I mean, the most important thing is to get healthy and to get back on the court and like put the work in consistently.

Q. Given that end of last year playing really well, you get the game back, the Hopman Cup injury, having to go through this whole thing again has got to be really frustrating, because it seems like you put in the work, you worked things out emotionally, you got the team set up again, and now injuries. Do you feel like you're starting back all over where you were again?
ANA IVANOVIC: Well, I'm a different position than I was last year, because I really feel like I have put the work. Last few months I work really hard. At least I'm not that far back. You know, I feel like it's all there. I just need to be healthy and to yeah, to be able to play.

Q. I'd like to know how is the coaching situation? Did you come to the French Open without any coach?
ANA IVANOVIC: No, I'm working with Darren through adidas program.

Q. I'm sorry to talk to you during this moment, but what is the difference between the Ana of 2008 and the Ana of today?
ANA IVANOVIC: I wish I knew. I try to look back and see what I've done then and to do the same things. Yeah, I'm just trying to work it out.

Q. Are you gonna try to play before Wimbledon or are you just going to take a wait and see on how the wrist feels?
ANA IVANOVIC: No, the wrist now feels good. The inflammation is gone, so I hope it's not gonna come back.
So I'm just gonna try and keep practicing. My plan is to play Eastbourne at the moment. That's the main plan.

Q. Are you just crying out of frustration now because you don't well, the wrist is okay and you can't seem to get back the level of play you had before? What is happening?
ANA IVANOVIC: I'm very upset I lost, you know, because even though like I was injured, I felt like I was playing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment