5/31/11

Roland Garros. May 2011 - Svetlana Kuznetsova

S. KUZNETSOVA/M. Rybarikova

6 2, 6 3

SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA

Q. I have a question about the ball marks. You had at least one today where you disagreed with the chair umpire about whether the ball was in or not. How do you feel about the fact that there is no Hawk-Eye here, and is using ball marks a good system?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: I think it's special. I don't think in French you have to do Hawk-Eye. I don't think on clay it's very effective. Today I was disagree but I was not 100% sure of the mark I show, because I hit the ball and I just try to see the mark and I saw one mark so I thought it was out. But he showed me another mark.
So there is confusion, you know, a little bit. But I had another issue in doubles match somewhere in Madrid, and the guy-- the girl from chair umpire, she showed me totally different mark than it was, and I was 100% sure that it was other mark and she found herself another mark. Then it's complicated. But I think it makes clay special.

Q. But that is the one problem, is it not, that you're not sure about the mark? Does the mark itself ever lie? Is for some reason the mark not true?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: Sometimes very complicated. They show you sometimes something which doesn't make sense. It's a mark. And sometimes it's very hard to see if the ball really touch or did not, so it's strange.

Q. Just wondering what you think of this starting the tournament on Sunday, that they've been doing here. This is the sixth year. Are you for it? Is it kind of odd playing today?
SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA: It's weird. It's very weird playing on Sunday. But lately I start every time-- if tournament starts on Saturday, I play on Saturday. If the tournament starts on Sunday, I play on Sunday. I always play the first day of the tournament. It's weird. And now I have two days off probably.
I don't know how it's going to feel like, tournament in two days. So I'm not sure. For me it's first time. But I believe it's more money to Grand Slam so it's more spectators, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment