5/31/11

Roland Garros : Arantxa Rus


A. RUS/K. Clijsters

3 6, 7 5, 6 1

ARANTXA RUS



Q. That's the biggest win of your young career, of course. How have you turned this match around?
ARANTXA RUS: Yes, this is for sure my biggest win. Yeah, it was really nice to play against her. She's a real hero. Played fantastic tennis.

Q. What are your feelings right now and what went through your mind the moment after your win?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, I really like to play on the center court. It was the first time. So in the beginning I was a little bit nervous, and after I start playing better and better.
Yeah, so I was really happy that I won this match in this big stadium against her.

Q. What did you think when she got the match points against you? What was in your mind at that moment?
ARANTXA RUS: Just go for it, and I will see.

Q. And when you got the match point for you? Was it a mess in your mind?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, just a mess. Yeah, so nice to win there on this big court.

Q. Did you feel the momentum change? Did you feel the shift in that second set?
ARANTXA RUS: Yes, I was like 3 0 down, I think. I served better. I played more aggressive. Little by little, yeah, I won that set, and, yeah, after I played really well, and yeah, that was the big difference, I think, that I played in the second set more aggressive.

Q. Did you say that she was a hero? Was she somebody who you followed and looked up to?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, really. I always liked to see her playing and to watch her matches, and, yeah, it was really, really nice that I played against her.

Q. Was she your favorite player, perhaps?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, one of my favorite players, yeah.

Q. When did you begin to think, Hey, maybe I can win this match?
ARANTXA RUS: I think when I was 5 2 down in the second set, I was thinking, Just go for it and play more aggressive. And, yeah, that really helped.
At 6 5 I had a really good serve game, and then I won the set. Then I was thinking, Yeah, I can win this match.

Q. You hadn't played in Philippe Chatrier before, but had you been to the stadium before today?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, I always went to watch here when I didn't play. So I was I think two times in the stadium to watch.

Q. Kim said she started to doubt herself and sort of had a lot of doubts playing the match today. Could you feel that?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, in the beginning I was more with myself, like I was nervous and, yeah, so and she played really good, I think.
Second set she started to hit also double faults and break points. So that I felt a little bit, yeah.

Q. Well done. When you won the second set, you didn't really react. You didn't seem to react. You just turned, got the towel. It was very, very cool. You had just taken the set off your hero and you were still in the match. Surely you weren't that cool inside. Surely you were kind of a bit excited.
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, yeah, of course. After the second set. But I felt it like inside. Maybe you don't see it. (Smiling.)
Q. What were you feeling like inside then? Were you cool inside?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, I was I was cool. In the beginning of the match, no. I was really nervous.

Q. What can you say about the public? Did you feel the people's support? During the match maybe they change?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, I heard just a little bit, but not that much. I cannot say.

Q. Maybe somebody also congratulate you by your phone or whatever, relatives?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, but I didn't look so much of my phone. I just saw a little bit of messages.

Q. We know so little about you. Can you tell us a little bit about your background and what your other interests are and just about your background? What is it like to go through life as a tennis player named Arantxa?
ARANTXA RUS: I play now for the second year the WTA tournaments, and I practice in Netherlands. Yeah, I travel with the Dutch coach, Ralph Kok. Yeah.

Q. Are you going to celebrate this?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, for sure today, and then I want to look forward to the other match.

Q. How are you going to celebrate?
ARANTXA RUS: Just to have a nice dinner with my family and my coach.

Q. Are your parents big tennis fans? Can you tell us about your first name?
ARANTXA RUS: My parents are not playing tennis, but they like to watch tennis and they really like they like to watch me. They are here already for one week.

Q. Are you named for Arantxa Sánchez Vicario?
ARANTXA RUS: No, no.

Q. You're here with your family? Parents and sister? All of your relatives here?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah, I'm here with my coach, and my parents are also here and my sister with some friends. They came today. But they just came from home, so they drove back.

Q. For one day by car?
ARANTXA RUS: Yeah.

Q. Your last final was in France; your last title was in France. Is that coincidence that you beat Clijsters here?
ARANTXA RUS: I didn't think about that, but maybe.

Q. You have a particular relationship with France or something?
ARANTXA RUS: Not that I know, but I play good here.

No comments:

Post a Comment