6/2/11

Roland Garros June 2 2011 - Li Na

N. LI/M. Sharapova
           
6‑4, 7‑5
           
NA LI
 
            Q.  How was the game?  Easier than expected, or not?
            NA LI:  No, I don't think it was easy, because, I mean, always tough against with Maria.  She always fighting every point.  So even I have match point, I don't know I can win the match or not, because she never give up.  Always tough.

            Q.  What's your feeling now?
            NA LI:  Excited.  (Smiling.)  Yeah, of course.

            Q.  Do you prefer one opponent or the other for the final game?
            NA LI:  No, I mean, I just finish a match and now they still fighting on the court.  I mean, doesn't matter.  I ready for Saturday.

            Q.  What represents playing the final here in Roland Garros?
            NA LI:  Another good experience for my whole career.  I think prove a little bit for China tennis, because, I mean, I'm sure they showed the match same time in China, so many ‑‑ maybe children, they saw the match, and they think that maybe one day they can do the same or even better.

            Q.  Could you explain us what kind of work you made before this season, something special maybe to improve?
            NA LI:  I really didn't know.  Just after change the team, and then we going well.  So, yeah, maybe the team gave me a lot of confidence, positive thing.  Yeah.

            Q.  What is your feeling compared to Melbourne Australia when you made the final?  Is that more happier?
            NA LI:  Of course Melbourne was more exciting because it's first time to the final.  Here was ‑‑ because I have one time in the final already, so this time not so exciting.
            And also, you know, you still have one more step to the going, so you couldn't stopping here.  Yeah.

            Q.  What has Michael Mortensen done with your play the last month?  Will he continue with as your coach after French Open?
            NA LI:  Yeah, I think we will talk about after French Open if we continue or not.  Because he has a family, so I would like to ask him how many weeks he can traveling with me.
            Because I couldn't say, Come on, let's go.  Which tournaments?  So I still happy with what he do.  He's working so hard with me, and for my team, also.  So we will talk about this after the French Open.

            Q.  What has he done with your play?
            NA LI:  I mean, yeah, he's trust me a lot.  He give me a lot of confidence.  Also, he say, You know, every person have the mistake, so I should give the chance to have the mistake.  Yeah.

            Q.  What is it you've done that's helped you play better on clay?
            NA LI:  Ah, I mean, yeah, before I try to do the exercise on the court but never win the point.  But this time, yeah, I make the point, so change a little bit.

            Q.  You have been saying that you prefer to play against a big hitter like Sharapova than the Spanish‑style of players.  What happens if you play against Schiavone?  Because she plays a very Spanish style.
            NA LI:  What happen?  Just play.
            I mean, right now I couldn't ‑‑ how do you say?  I couldn't do anything, because now I was sitting press conference.  And even in the match always like against opponent, so we will see who can control on the court.
            Yeah.

            Q.  Everybody say you make a story here at Roland Garros.  What do you think?
            NA LI:  Is true.  (Laughter.)
            I mean, what I can say?  First time to the final.  Yeah.  So I just need one more step and then my dream is come true.  Yep.

            Q.  So you reached the Australian Open final and you didn't have success.  How will you approach this final differently than Australia mentally or emotionally?
            NA LI:  You know, because Melbourne is first time to the final, you didn't have any experience before.  So you didn't know what happened, what I should do on the final.
            But this time, I mean, is second time to the final.  Of course, you know what you should do.  I know it's different surface, but you play six matches already.
            So, yeah, this time I know what I should do in the final.

            Q.  At 29, why are you having such success at this age?
            NA LI:  Age didn't mean anything.  Age just paper.  It's just plus one.  Doesn't mean anything for the age.
            Yeah, I know maybe for the Asia player they growing up for a little bit late for European player, but I'm think 29 is too late, too old.  I'm still feel I am young, so...  (Smiling.)

            Q.  Last Christmas, if someone came up to you and said, Guess what, you'll reach the Grand Slam finals in the next two Grand Slams, what would you have said to them?
            NA LI:  Thanks.  (Laughter.)
            I mean, what I should say?  I don't know what I should say.  I just ‑‑ yeah, I only can say thanks and then try working hard.  Yeah, that's all.

            Q.  So this is your second Grand Slam final.  What does that mean for tennis in China?  And also, what does this mean to you personally as a player and as a person?
            NA LI:  I mean, I know it's not so many player can be same year two times in the final.  I make it; I do it.
            Of course, if I make it to the final, I come more confident on the court.  And also you have to believe in yourself you can do it.
            I don't know how much I can prove for China tennis, but I know if someone doing the final, if the children, they saw, Oh, it's not so bad; maybe some day they can doing better.
            So they have the goal what they have to do.  So I don't know how much I can prove, but I wish like tennis in China get bigger and bigger.

            Q.  It's your second slam final of the season.  Do you feel more of a star on the circuit now?
            NA LI:  No.  I just think it's just tournament.

            Q.  Just the tournament, surely.
            NA LI:  Yeah, just the tournament, just the match.  I mean, just keep going.  Yeah.

            Q.  Have you some interest in other sports, especially for China's athletes around the world in track and field, in basketball, I don't know?
            NA LI:  What?

            Q.  Your interest, your personal interest for other sport and other China athletes?
            NA LI:  Out of tennis, I don't like any sport.  (Laughter.)
            I mean, before I play badminton, and after I change.  So I think tennis was amazing sport.  You can challenge for yourself.  That's why I change.

            Q.  How long does it take you to prepare for the match mentally?  Because maybe half an hour before the match I saw the players and it was really relaxed.  Maybe is your preparation because of where you started at that time, so what should we do to prepare mentally, and how long does it take to you?
            THE MODERATOR:  Maybe a bit slower.
            NA LI:  Maybe a little bit slower, please.

            Q.  How long does it take you to prepare for the match mentally?  But not just training.  Can you explain the way you are preparing mentally?
            NA LI:  For us, we are professional players, so we have to prepare for every second. Of course, after the match like today, I'm not think about tennis anymore.
            But if like I have match like tomorrow, after I wake up I will think about, Okay, what I should do against the opponent or something.  You have to warmup, you have to talk to the coach, talk to the team what you should do, and warmup.
            And then just like automatic, the mental is really.  You don't have to think, Okay, start now.  I should start to thinking.  Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment