6/1/11

Roland Garros. June 1 2011 - Li Na


N. LI/V. Azarenka
           
7‑5, 6‑2
           

           
NA LI
           
  

            Q.  The quality was very high on both sides.  You must be very pleased with how you were able to close it out and not have any problems mentally, choke a little bit or anything.
            NA LI:  I mean, you know, two days ago I was in quarters, so happy already.  But, I mean, you know, I was ‑‑ I have two match points, but I just didn't know what I should do.
            After I win the match I was feeling, Wow, I can play semi in Roland Garros.  I never think about that before.  So many people think I'm not so good in clay court, but I think now they should change a little bit.  (Smiling.)

            Q.  On the first match point, it almost looks like two times the ball might have been out.  What did you feel about that?  What did you see, and did it bother you?
            NA LI:  I was thinking why she didn't hit the ball out.  Yeah, I saw the one ball.  The marks was half in, half out.  I was like, Okay, if she hit this ball out I win the match.
            But, you know, after I lose the point I was like, Okay, next one, next one.  Yeah.

            Q.  You said that some people should maybe think that you can play on clay.  Did you think you were this good on clay yourself?
            NA LI:  So you think I'm not so good?

            Q.  No.  No.  I'm saying some people said.
            NA LI:  Yeah, some people say.  I mean, yeah, after if they saw I play in the semis, they should change.  (Smiling.)
Q.        Did you always believe that you were capable of going this far at the French Open and playing so well on clay?
            NA LI:  No.  (Laughter.)
            Yeah, I mean, I never think can I play semis in Roland Garros.  I think I can play on other three, but never think about for French Open.  You know, for clay court for all Asia people not so doing well because you have to slide a lot.  Also you have to play a lot of topspin.
            But for Asia player we play a lot of flat.  So more important I think ‑‑ more good court for us was like grass court or hard court.
            But after this time I think all Asia people have more confident play in clay court.  Yeah.

            Q.  Speaking of Asian players, it's been more than 10 years since Kimiko Date first time made the semis in Roland Garros.  Do you have any comments on that as an Asian player?
            NA LI:  I would like to say, because tennis for Asia, like, they didn't do many years, like short time for all the Asia country.  Not like European/American that has like over hundred years.  But for Asia, we only have short time.
            But, I mean, for all Asia players they do well.  So I believe after maybe five years, even more short time, there can there can be more top Asia players going up.  Yeah.

            Q.  The final in Australia, now at least semifinal here.  Are you surprising yourself with your success at the Grand Slams this year?
            NA LI:  Yeah, of course, because, you know, after Melbourne I didn't win so many matches until change the season.  So, yeah, and also after Melbourne, I mean, I was a little bit sad.  You play final in Melbourne, but after another three month you even didn't win one match.
            Now in the semi again.  So I was always feeling up, down, up, down.  I don't know where I'm can be, you know.  So sometimes I didn't trust myself a lot, but until now.
            Yeah, the team gave me a lot of confidence and gave me good energy and positive thing.  Yeah, also they trust me a lot.

            Q.  When did you start believing that you could really play well on the clay and here?  I mean, was there a tournament before?  Was there a match in particular where you said, I like this stuff?  I like the clay, and I can do well on it?
            NA LI:  I mean, biggest ‑‑ before the Roland Garros I was play Madrid, Rome, both was come to the semis.  Yeah, so after the team think about, Yeah, you can play clay court.  I was, like, Oh, really?
            Yeah, I mean, I know I win many matches in the clay court, but I still didn't believe I can play clay court.  I also a little bit afraid, you know, because like many people next to you say you are not good clay‑court player or something.
            After one time or even ten times, of course you think, Oh, I'm not good clay‑court player.  But still like the team always say, You do well.  Why you didn't believe yourself?
            So, yeah.  I think clay court not so bad.

            Q.  Was there a particular match or win that you had where you suddenly turned the corner and said, Yeah, not just it's okay for me, but I like this surface?
            NA LI:  I mean, I always like the surface.  In the clay court you can do many exercise, but before I never can win one point.  So that's why I didn't like clay court.
            But now I do the exercise on the court I still can win the point.  So, yeah.

            Q.  You played two women who hit the ball very hard, Kvitova and today Azarenka and next you have Sharapova, who also can hit the ball very hard and who also is not known as a clay‑court player.  What are your thoughts about her?
            NA LI:  I mean, always tough play against a Nike player, you know.  I know it's tough.  Like after we just make the joke.  We say, Oh, in the bottom of the half, all the Nike player was in the bottom of the half.  Not even one in the top.
            Yeah, but, you know, I mean, this is just joke.  On the match, we still fighting a lot.  So I know these three players was like hit ball so hard, not even like Spanish or European player, like play more topspin, dropshot.
            So I think this good for me.  I don't even running too much.

            Q.  Are you happier playing a player who hits flat and likes to end points?
            NA LI:  I mean, I didn't like someone play like Spanish player, like topspin, dropshot, I always have to running and hit the ball.  I hate that.  I like to stand there.  Yeah.  (Laughter.)
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment