6/4/11

Roland Garros June 4 2011 - Na Li


N. LI/F. Schiavone
           
6‑4, 7‑6
           
           
NA LI


            Q.  Congratulations, Li.  Great win.  I have two questions.  One of them is if the match had gone to three sets, we know that Schiavone is very good in coming back and fighting till the end, especially in the last set.  Would that have made you quite nervous?  Were you thinking about that?  And the second question is:  Your country has won Paris Grand Slam tournament for the first time.  We know that when Borg won, started winning Grand Slams, it made a big boom in Swedish tennis.  With a force like China, do you expect so much follow‑up in tennis?
            NA LI:  First one I think never happen because I win in two sets.  (Laughter.)
            And, I mean, if you come to final set, of course never know what happen because she's fighting a lot, and also I'm for sure fighting a lot on the court.  So you never know what happened.
            The second one, I mean, of course after first Chinese player can with can win the Grand Slam, I mean, a little bit proof for China tennis, also.  I think maybe China not like Sweden.  They have many top 1 player growing up, but I still believe China tennis were getting bigger and bigger.

            Q.  To me it's time to say to you, Gong xi, gong xi.
            NA LI:  Oh, xie xie.

            Q.  You know, in China there is million people has been watch the final.  When will you return in China, and what are you expected from your Chinese, from Chinese people?
            NA LI:  I mean, biggest right now is, you know, after French that next two weeks is Wimbledon, so I don't have time to go back to China right now.
            So I go back after Wimbledon.  If I didn't do well in Wimbledon, maybe people forget me already.  These are tough times, you know.
            I think right now I think the best time for me, because I can enjoy with my team.  Not like Melbourne.  After back to China, you know, many people come to you.
            Yeah, now just enjoy the team and try to focus on Wimbledon.  Yeah.

            Q.  Can you tell me, after being in the Melbourne final, did that help you for this final, knowing the kind of thing to expect from crowds?  And then second, in the second set when you were serving 4‑3 and got broken, was it from nerves or what happened after that?
            NA LI:  I mean, in Melbourne was the first time in the final.  Of course you didn't have any experience before.  You come one time final already, and you know what to do in this time.
            And for tennis, like 4‑3 for the serve is mean nothing, because the chair umpire didn't say, Game, set, match.  So both players still have chance.
            I think of course was nervous.  I mean, come to the final and so many people watching you.  I mean, yeah.
            But is good.  Finally I can win the match.  Yeah.

            Q.  Congratulations.  Can you tell us what it feels like to be a Grand Slam champion?  What's going through your mind?  Has it set in?  It's about an hour or so.  Just the feeling of being in such elite company.
            NA LI:  I mean, of course feeling ‑‑ you know, today is the dream come true.  Like I was a young player, I want be the Grand Slam champion ‑‑ but today.  Someone saying I'm getting old.  So, you know, the old woman like the dream come true.  Not easy.
            You know, also, like 6‑Love in the tiebreak, I was thinking about, Okay, don't do stupid thing.  Yeah, because like before I have many match points but I never win the match.  So I was like, Okay, you need one point, and then you can get.
            Of course, exciting.  Not so many player can win the Grand Slam.  Yeah.

            Q.  Congratulations.  I saw people in your family box like a coach or the husband put on a shirt which had Chinese characters.
            NA LI:  Yeah.

            Q.  I am Japanese, so I can sense some like meaning, but I don't know exactly what the meaning of that.  So could you explain about that, the Chinese letters?
            NA LI:  Just before the start French Open, I mean, Nike China they do T‑shirt for me.  They have Chinese, like, Be yourself.  So, yeah, they just ask me, Is okay to wear this T‑shirt?  I say, Of course.  Why not?
            They only make the T‑shirt for ‑‑ 30 T‑shirt all of the China.  I think now they should make more of it, because many ‑‑ yeah, a lot of fans was ask where they have the T‑shirt.

            Q.  Congratulations.  You stopped playing in 2002.  Could you tell us why you did that and went to university for study journalism?  Did you ever expect to come back stronger and being a Grand Slam champion?
            NA LI:  I mean, yeah, I think because like before the ranking always like over 120, and also always play small tournament.  I think is no challenge for the self, so is why I say should stop, and come to university to learn different way.
            I mean, because I didn't want like end of the career only way to the end.  So I have to change myself a little bit.  After two years, I think is the time to come back.
            So that's why.  Yeah.

            Q.  In the night between the 3rd and the 4th June, 1989, there was revolution in Tiananmen, and today you think is an important day for tennis like revolution in tennis?
            NA LI:  I think I just tennis player.  I don't need to answer just this question.  I only focus on my tennis on the court.

            Q.  Do you think it's an important moment, historical?
            NA LI:  I mean, if you didn't say, I never know it happen.  I mean, this is tough.  I don't want to answer.

            Q.  Congratulations for your victory.  Just after your victory against Silvia Soler‑Espinosa, we had a one‑to‑one interview, and I actually told you that Kim Clijsters was out.  You looked at me ‑ and I still have the video ‑ and it looked like you were pretty shocked by the news.  Did it really make a difference on the way you actually saw your table there at that moment?
            NA LI:  I mean, like Kim Clijsters out I mean second round, right?  Is far away.  And also, you don't need think about what opponent for third round, fourth round.  You have to be round by round.
            I have a lot of experience.  Like before, if I think too much always like lose easy.  So I never think about what I should do.  I only focus on next round, and then, yeah.

            Q.  Congratulations.  How did you prepare technically and tactically this match?  I thought you really handled her slice very well.  How did you prepare the match?
            NA LI:  You know, I play six matches already.  I mean, if I couldn't slice, I couldn't come to the final, right?  And also, if you play clay court, you have to know how to slice.

            Q.  Her slice?
            NA LI:  Her slice?

            Q.  Yes.
            NA LI:  Yeah, but, you know, my husband is my hitting partner.  He can hit slice, also.  (Laughter.)

            Q.  Congratulations.  In Melbourne you said that your mom had never watched you play live tennis.  Did she watch today?
            NA LI:  I don't think so.  I didn't contact with her, you know.  I mean, it's tough, because like before my ‑‑ how do you say it?  Like mom ‑‑ sister?  They always say, Oh, she's play now.  And then she turn off the TV because it made her nervous.
            I don't think she's watch.  Yeah, but I will contact her later.

            Q.  You have been working with Thomas Hogstedt from Sweden, and the last weeks with Michael Mortensen from Denmark.  Is that a good influence, or the training of many years with your husband is the principal thing?  How do you see this?
            NA LI:  I think the player change coaches like normal.  Like for the coach, you couldn't with the player for like five or ten years.  You know, every coach haves like good ‑‑ how you say?  Like good way for the players.
            So I just want change.  I want to be even better, so that's why after Melbourne I was change my team a little bit.  I have a new coach with me now.  Yeah.

            Q.  Congratulations.  For the fun of it, if you were still in journalism school and the teacher said, Tell us the meaning of this wonderful Chinese player who just won the Grand Slam, what would you write?
            NA LI:  Dream come true.  Yeah, I would like to say, you know, because in China never have champion for the Grand Slam, so that's why in China so many player working so hard.
            Because the dream is can be the top player or win the Grand Slam.  So I would like to say, yeah, dream come true.

            Q.  How do you feel when your flag of your country flutter or flying?  The flagpole for the first time, the flag because you win for the first time.
            NA LI:  I think it's amazing, because I only know like before only like Asia Game or Olympics they can have fly.  But, I mean, of course amazing time this time.
            And also I got a text message from my friend.  They said they were crying in China because they saw the national flag was come up.
            I think if you being Chinese, everyone was exciting during the time.  Yeah.

            Q.  Congratulations.  You've had good results at Wimbledon before, so do you think you can carry this form on to the grass?
            NA LI:  Change of surface.  Right now, like Schiavone say, just enjoy and take two or three days off.  Yeah, I will come to Eastbourne for the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment