6/3/11

Roland Garros June 3 2011 - Roger Federer


R. FEDERER/N. Djokovic
           
7‑6, 6‑3, 3‑6, 7‑6
           


ROGER FEDERER
           

            Q.  Wonderful, wonderful match, Roger.  Congratulations.
            ROGER FEDERER:  Thank you.

            Q.  Is this the best match you have played in the year 2011?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah.  I would think so, yeah.  I hope it was, because I thought it was played at a very high level for a very long time.
            I can only talk about myself, but I thought I did really well today.  It was a tough start, really, where I was able to break.  There was break backs, because that's kind of how we play against each other.  It's so intense and he's such a good return player that I always know he's got something in his racquet to really break me, as well.
            I really wanted to make it as physical as possible, which I was able to make it happen.  I think the end of the first and beginning of the second set was key to, you know, the outcome almost in the fourth set.
            So I was really happy the way I played.  I thought at the end it was also quite mental, you know, both of us know that whoever is going to win the set, either it's over or we have to come back tomorrow, which makes it more tricky.
            So for this reason obviously I'm somewhat relieved that I don't have to come back tomorrow, even that would have been no problem.  I thought it was a great match from both sides, really.

            Q.  Actually watching it, there were a few of us who thought it was vintage tennis, perhaps the best we have seen since the final of Wimbledon in 2008.  Would you perhaps concur with that?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Possibly, yeah.  I mean, I think I haven't disappeared since, you know.  I think I've played some great matches since and i did some sacrifices.  I wasn't lying on the beach.
            So I'm pretty happy that I made that effort over the years, and that, you know, when it really counts I'm at the big occasion, you know.  So I think today was one of those moments.  There was a lot on the line for Novak, a lot of pressure obviously going in, and I thought he handled it great, really.
            He got maybe a bit unlucky in the first set, but he hung in there and almost pushed it to five.  Obviously you never know on a different day what's gonna happen.
            Look, it was a pleasure playing against him today I thought.  I told him at the net as well.  I said I think his record speaks for itself, how great he's played already this season, and it's not even over yet.  He can still achieve so much more this year.
            And, yeah, I thought we played some great tennis.  The way the crowd got into it, as well, towards the end of the match, I mean, the way they back me here in Paris is just an amazing feeling.  So obviously I know I'm very privileged to live this in my career.

            Q.  I want to say thank you because of the best tennis match I saw in my life.
            ROGER FEDERER:  Okay.  Any time.  (Laughter.)

            Q.  In any time of the match did you think you can lose this match?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Honestly, I was very confident, you know, especially once I was up 7‑6, 4‑1.  I kind of felt like this match is not gonna slip out my hands, even though I probably missed another 10 or 15 break points at the end of the second set.
            I just felt you don't give me such a lead and then think you can crawl back into the match.  I knew I was probably gonna close this out.  That was just a feeling I had.

            Q.  You stopped Rafa once; you were the last one who beat Djokovic.  You stop now Djokovic.  Do you have something against these records?
            ROGER FEDERER:  No, but Rafa and Novak and other guys have stopped me, too.  It's just the way it goes, you know.  (Laughter.)
            I said it earlier, I wasn't here to spoil the party.  I mean, just trying to put in a good match and trying to get to the French Open finals, which I'm now obviously happy I'm able to.
            But almost feels somewhat like I've won the tournament, which is not the case, you know.  Silverware is still out there to be won, and I'm looking forward to the match with Rafa, which I guess is my true rival for the last ‑‑ all those years, you know, since he became world No. 1.
            I remember playing him in Miami for the first time, so this is obviously another big match.  It always seems to me that Rafa needs to be in a French Open final to make it special, and I got the match I guess I was hoping for.
            After beating Novak, it's in a way a gift that I get the chance, and I'm looking forward to it.

            Q.  Can you say what was going through your head at 4‑5 in the fourth when Djokovic was serving for the set?  And then also if you have any different tactics for tomorrow or on Sunday playing against Rafa?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Look, I mean, I was disappointed I got broken at 4‑All, because I had such a huge game.  Because being down 4‑5 or being up 5‑4 is just a huge change.  I don't know how to explain.
            It's just all of a sudden four points away instead of being 12 points away, and, you know, a mountain to climb again.
            So I knew I kind of messed up and got maybe a bit unlucky, because I think I did take the right decisions.  Look, it happens.  Novak is a great player, and I never sort of gave up even though I knew, Okay, he's playing well; he's taking it away from me and he should close it up.
            But I got into a tough first point, and I kind of felt like from there on I was probably gonna break him back because it was getting slower, it was getting barker.  It was just tough when you're not feeling 100% to keep the ball in play, I just felt.
            That's why I felt I played a great return game, and then I played one of the best breakers again.  I was able to mix it up, serve great, clutch serve when I had to, and I just kind of felt good, obviously.

            Q.  Sorry to bring this up after such an incredible win, but the last time you played Rafa here three years ago you won four games.  What are you gonna do that's different?  Do you have a plan?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Yeah, I mean, not yet.  We played a great match in Madrid against each other, so obviously I've got my hands full with him now.  Whoever thinks it's gonna be a walk in the park is so wrong, you know.  Everybody knows how many times he's gotten me here in Paris.
            I'm happy I never got sort of a letdown just because he has beaten me here and just that I stopped believing.  That's why I got the Roland Garros in 2009, which remains one of my most special wins, really, in my career.
            And I have another opportunity to beat Rafa here and get the French Open title.  I've got to play some extraordinarily special tennis.  I'm aware of that.  But I obviously took a huge step today, and hope I can get everything together for the finals.

            Q.  You didn't use dropshot, but you felt the ball great or you were waiting for the end or why this happened?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Well, Novak plays very much on the baseline.  He plays very, I mean, flat and hard and deep shots, so it kind of makes it more difficult to use the dropshot.  If you do hit it, you have to hit it perfect, otherwise he's gonna eat it up.  So that was pretty simple.
            THE MODERATOR:  French questions, please.

            Q.  Compared to all your other matches on clay, would you say that this one is one of your best in the top three?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Well, with regards to its importance, it's a very big one.  It's one on which I had lots of expectations.  And when a match is so important to make things even bigger, I'm very proud of my performance today.  But as I said, the tournament is not over yet.  But it's true, it's a great match.
            Now, did I win it in three or four sets?  I don't care.  What's important is that I played a beautiful match against a player which is in great shape.  So that's gonna be a special victory, probably more special than others.

            Q.  When you play incredible points, as you did today, and the crowd is so happy, are you aware of this?  Is this motivating?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Yes, quite a lot.  And when I play in Switzerland, I find it normal to have this kind of support.  But in a foreign country ‑‑ we have no Grand Slam tournament in Switzerland, so when I play in Switzerland in and in a foreign country and I get this support from a crowd, when I feel people supporting me, being happy, being proud even though I do nothing to conquer their hearts.
            But when it happens naturally, then I'm even more happy, because, you know, you are on the road and it fuels my motivation.  It helps me play longer, because it's a great pleasure to play in such an atmosphere.
            So as I said, before this match, I had not had any real difficult matches.  So maybe the crowd has not had time to really appreciate my matches.
            But this time it was a full match, and the atmosphere was incredible.  I'd like to thank the crowd for their support, because it really helped me today.

            Q.  Since Australia 2010, you've not reached a final in a Grand Slam.  Was it a long time for you?  Have you ever doubted you'd be back in a final?
            ROGER FEDERER:  No, not really.  I was very close in the US Open, and then I'm playing a final here against Rafa.  Novak played very well in the US Open and also in Australia.
            Last year maybe I had a hard time here and in Wimbledon, but it's all ‑‑ it's sometimes difficult to play the perfect match.
            So that's why you have to accept it and continue to work.  I've always made it to the quarterfinals or even semifinals, so that's another step forward for me today.
            I made it to the final and I'd like to win it.  I know I'll have to play Rafa, but I'll be ready.

            Q.  Would you say that you're currently playing your best tennis on clay?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Well, honestly, I feel very well.  I think I move very well.  I'm never stressed.  If there is a ball that you miss, it's just because the other one played it very well, and not because I made a mistake or I played bad tennis on the return, on my serve.
            That's why I'm very happy at the moment with my game.  Is it my best?  I don't know.

            Q.  What was the key today for you to beat Novak Djokovic?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Well, not fearing long rallies, be very much present physically and mentally.  I had a lot of confidence.  So quite clearly it goes through your mind, because each time he manages to save a break ball, you think, Okay, he played very well, and it's because of his confidence that he makes the right decision all the time.
            So it makes it a bit difficult to stay calm.  But before the match I was thinking I had difficulties being calm.  But then, I mean, my mental and my physical shape were great, so we played exactly the match I expected or I hoped.  It was difficult, but we ‑‑ I closed it in four sets.

            Q.  It's as if you were not aware of the extraordinary level of game that we have during the first set.  Did you realize what good tennis it was?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Well, yes, because I can even feel it.  We run, so we felt when the first five games take more than half an hour that each game is played on very long rallies when you have to fight and struggle for each point.
            I know how much work I put in my points and people tend to forget that, but it was a bit the same thing in Australia.  In Australia luck was on his side.  He won; this time I won.  It was very tough.
            And today we also played for a very long time.  We were tired, and the first set was huge.  I'm very much aware of that.

            Q.  Just before you said you didn't do anything to conquer the hearts of the crowd.  There was Kuerten that really showed his emotion on the court, Francesca Schiavone kissing the clay.  Did you ever do anything specific?
            ROGER FEDERER:  Well, I try and speak French the best I can.  (Laughter.)  I can't really.  I make lots of mistakes.  Maybe that's what I do.  But I don't think I need to do anything like that.
            I think people know how much I love Roland Garros, how dear this tournament is to my heart.  I think that's enough.
            But then, I mean, we all have our ways of expressing our emotions, and that's good in tennis to see that people are different.

1 comment:

  1. Just want to say thanks so very much for posting these transcripts. I hope you're able to keep them up.

    ReplyDelete